Robbers Striking In Broad Daylight In Loop, River North, Old Town
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) — Police are searching for a robber who has been targeting victims downtown and on the Near North Side in broad daylight in recent weeks.
The robberies happened between June 23 and this past Saturday in the Loop and in the Old Town and River North neighborhoods.
In each incident, the victim is standing on the sidewalk and riding a bicycle, when the robber grabs the victim’s cell phone and rides off in a car being driven by an accomplice. In one incident, three robbers came up to a victim, grabbed him around the neck and told him they had a gun, as they tookhis wallet.
The incidents happened at the following times and locations:
• Saturday, June 23 at 3:20 p.m., in the 200 block of West Goethe Street;
• Saturday, June 23 at 3:25 p.m., in the 300 block of West Superior Street;
• Saturday, June 23 at 3:45 p.m., in the 200 block of South Wells Street;
• Tuesday, June 26 at 5 p.m., in the 1300 block of North Wells Street;
• Saturday, June 30 at 1:30 p.m. in the 300 block of West Evergreen Avenue.
The lead robber is described as an African-American man between the ages of 18 and 30, standing 5 feet 7 to 5 feet 11 inches tall, and weighing 130 to 160 pounds.
The getaway car driven by the accomplice is described as a silver or gray Nissan – possibly an Altima – with Illinois or Texas plates.
Police advise that neighbors be aware of the robberies and not walk alone if they can help it. Anyone with information is asked to call Area Central Detectives at (312) 747-8382.