CHICAGO (CBS) — U.S. News & World Report placed Northwestern Memorial Hospital as the 12th on its list for best medical centers in the country this year.
The publication ranks nearly 5,000 hospitals nationwide in 16 medical specialties, and the Honor Roll list ranks hospitals that are close to the top in at least six of the 16 categories. Northwestern Memorial is nationally ranked in 12 specialties.
Northwestern Memorial is the only Chicago-based hospital on the Honor Roll, but the report ranked Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago first for the top rehab hospital in the country.
According to Crain’s, Northwestern Memorial is the area’s biggest hospital by beds (745) and 2010 revenue.
Of the 121 hospitals in the area, which includes Aurora, Evanston, Joliet and Naperville, the report ranked Northwestern Memorial first. The rest of the top 10 in the regional list are:
• Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
• University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago
• Advocate Christ Medical Center, Oak Lawn
• NorthShore Evanston Hospital, Evanston
• Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood
• Central DuPage Hospital, Winfield
• Northwest Community Healthcare, Arlington Heights
• Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago
• Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village