Reporting Mike Krauser
CHICAGO (CBS) — The family of a Chicago man who died in an industrial accident last year has filed a wrongful death suit against the suburban manufacturing plant where it occurred.
As WBBM Newsradio’s Mike Krauser reports, Carlos Centeno Sr. died last November after a heated citric acid cleaning solution erupted from a tank he was cleaning.
“He was a very hardworking man, just a family man,” said Carlos Centeno Jr., talking about his father in the conference room of the law firm Romanucci & Blandin on LaSalle Street.
Family attorney Stephan Blandin said Centeno Sr. worked for Raani Corporation, a contract packaging and private label manufacturing firm in Bedford Park.
“The most egregious part of this is what happened after this. Raani, intentionally, did not call 911. Eighty percent of his body – his skin was peeling off,” Blandin said. “Supervisors watched this and they left them there.”
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration found 14 violations, including failing to provide medical care, and fined Raani $473,000.
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Mike Krauser reports