4-Year-Old Boy Accidentally Sets Fire To Mattress, Burns Down House In Carpentersville
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. (CBS) — A 4-year-old boy playing with a lighter started a fire that destroyed a home in Carpentersville Thursday.
As WBBM Newsradio’s Mike Krauser reports, the Carpentersville Fire Department says the boy set fire to a mattress, the Daily Herald reports. His aunt tried to drag the mattress out of the house, but that ended up starting other fires.
The fire broke out around noon Thursday, in the 200 block of Riverview Drive in Carpentersville.
The fire on the mattress grew to the point where the aunt gave up and left it to burn in the living room, the newspaper reported.
When crews arrived, the boy and the aunt were across the street, and the house was engulfed in flames, the Daily Herald reported.
It took about 15 minutes for crews to put the fire out, but the house was considered a loss, the newspaper reported.\
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Mike Krauser reports