CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Woman Dies In Fire, Smoke Detector Was In Drawer

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
A woman died of smoke inhalation at this home in West Englewood. (Credit: Chicago Fire Department)

A woman died of smoke inhalation at this home in West Englewood. (Credit: Chicago Fire Department)

CHICAGO (CBS) — A smoke detector that could have saved the life of a woman who died from smoke inhalation was sitting in a kitchen drawer without any batteries, according to fire officials.

The 28-year-old woman died, of burns and severe smoke inhalation, from a fire Friday in her one and a-half story frame home at 5618 S. Paulina Ave., in the West Englewood neighborhood, according to Fire Media Affairs.

“After the fire was extinguished, we went though the home and found in the kitchen drawer, a new smoke detector, which had never been installed and had no batteries,” Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said.

The woman was treated at the scene and then transferred to Holy Cross Hospital, where she died.

Additional information was not immediately available.

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Bernie Tafoya Reports