Bears

Report: Bears Hall Of Famer McAfee Died After Drinking Poison

Bears helmet. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)

Bears helmet. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)

Chicago Bears
Upcoming Games

Buy Bears Tickets Full Schedule
Sunday Dec 21
vs. Lions
Featured & Trending:

Latest News Headlines:

Sports Fan Insider

Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Sign Up

CHICAGO (CBS) – In 2009, former Chicago Bears running back and Hall of Famer George McAfee died in an assisted-living facility in Atlanta after he wandered unsupervised into a utility room and drank a bottle of industrial-strength detergent.

McAfee, 90 at the time of his death, had developed dementia in his later years.

ABC News reports McAfee “burned his lips, esophagus and lungs before he died in the hospital, according to his family, which settled with the Emeritus Corporation, the company that ran the facility and took responsibility for his death.”

“It was horrible, horrible,” his daughter, Cheryl Morgan, told the news network. “I cannot begin to tell you how horrific it was. We just hope he wasn’t conscious.”

McAfee, voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1966, was a four-time champion with the Bears in the 1940s.

For the full report, please click here.