Man Turns Himself In For Stealing iPads, Laptops From School
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (STMW) – A man turned himself into police and was charged Wednesday for allegedly stealing iPads and laptops from the auditorium of a Bronzeville school last week, marking the eleventh person charged in the theft.
Deion Dillard, 18, of the 2700 block of the South Dearborn Street, was charged with felon burglary after walking into Central District police headquarters and turning himself in, police said. He is expected Thursday in bond court.
Other people charged in the theft include Jabare McChristian, 19, and Devin Pearson, 17, who allegedly took a few of the electronics from Drake Elementary School. Police announced Tuesday afternoon that Eugene McQueen, 25, of the 2900 block of South Federal Street, and seven other juvenile teenagers have also charged, police said.
McChristian and Pearson were both charged with felony burglary and the others also helped in the scheme that involved the theft of 300 laptops, seven MacBook Pros and other devices that cost $94,000, Cook County prosecutors said.
McChristian allegedly admitted to police that he took an iPad from a metal storage area but later left it because he didn’t think it worked.
So instead, he took a MacBook from the school in 2700 block of South Dearborn, Assistant State’s Attorney Lorraine Scaduto said.
Pearson took three iPads, covers and cases and hid them near his apartment because he thought they had tracking devices, Scaduto said.
When Pearson heard police were in the area, he dumped the iPads in a trash can near his home, Scaduto said.
McQueen was charged with misdemeanor theft. Three boys, 16, 15, and 13, and a 15-year-old girl were charged with felony burglary, and a 16-year-old boy was charged with felony theft. A 16-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl were also charged with misdemeanor theft, police said. Their roles in the incident were not immediately known.
Some of the stolen equipment has been recovered, according to a statement from Chicago Public Schools.
“While the investigation continues, we will work with Drake Elementary leadership to minimize the impact this occurrence will have on student learning,” the statement said.
Police said additional suspects are being sought and the investigation to locate and recover the stolen items continues.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)