Second Gunman Charged In Fatal Roseland Shooting
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) – A Bellwood man has been arrested as the second gunman in a fatal shooting in the Roseland neighborhood, which prosecutors have said was prompted by a stolen gun.
Ray Coleman, 25, has been charged with one count each of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery/discharge of a firearm, according to Chicago Police. Coleman is expected in bond court Friday.
He was one of at least two gunmen who opened fire on a group of people on the porch of a home in the 10500 block of South LaSalle Street on Monday, police said.
Maurice Knowles, 16, was killed in the attack, and a 24-year-old man was wounded.
Another alleged gunman, 23-year-old Michael O. Johnson, was arrested earlier this week, and charged with one count each of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery for discharge of a firearm
Prosecutors said the shooting happened after a relative of Knowles stole a gun from Johnson. That relative was known to visit the home on LaSalle Street.
Johnson, Coleman and one other man allegedly approached the home and opened fire on a group of people on the porch about 5:30 p.m. Monday, authorities said.
Knowles was shot in the back, and died about two hours later at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
The 24-year-old suffered only a graze wound. He also refused to cooperate with detectives, police said.
Witnesses identified one of the gunmen as “Mike Mike” Johnson. They provided police with Johnson’s address and identified him in a photo.
The wounded man provided police with a nickname for another of the suspects, according to court documents. Another witness identified the third person when the men were seen fleeing through an alley.
When police arrived at Johnson’s home, he tried to kick out a window, but fell through the ceiling from the attic where he was hiding, according to court documents. Police then searched the home and found a hooded sweatshirt that matched the description given by witnesses, but no gun.
Judge Israel A. Desierto ordered Johnson held on $1.5 million bond Thursday.
The third man has not yet been arrested.
–The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.