Sixth Man Charged In Shooting Of 13 In South Side Park
CHICAGO (STMW) – The man allegedly behind the wheel the night 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy, were wounded by gunfire in the Back of the Yards has been charged in connection with the mass shooting.
Darren Curtis, 28, of West Englewood, was arrested Friday and charged with three counts of attempted first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm, police said.Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. ordered him held without bail Sunday.
“The actions speak for themselves,” Bourgeois said.
Curtis is one of six men who have been arrested in connection with the mass shooting at Cornell Square Park near 51st and Wood, which occurred about 10:15 p.m. — 45 minutes before the park’s 11 p.m. closing — on Sept. 19.
Tabari Young and Brad Jett, both 22, Bryon “Lord” Champ, 21, and Kewane Gatewood, 20, each face three counts of attempted murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. David Logan, 22, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon without a FOID card and obstructing justice.They were each ordered held without bail in September, as well.
Prosecutors said Champ and Young used an AK-47 and a .22-caliber revolver to fire in the crowd at Cornell Square Park.
Assistant State’s Attorney Elizabeth Dibler said Sunday Curtis was their driver that night. Court records show he was recently identified as a participant in the shooting, and he was arrested Friday afternoon at his home in the 5700 block of South Wolcott.
The shooting allegedly was revenge for a minor graze wound Champ suffered several hours earlier in the 5200 block of South Paulina after a quarrel with gang rivals, prosecutors said.
Police have said some of the victims in the park were members of the Gangster Disciples street gang and the shooters were suspected of being affiliated with the Black P Stones.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)