Lincoln Park High School Student Suffers Burns From Chem Lab Fire

CHICAGO (CBS) — A student at Lincoln Park High School was hospitalized after she suffered second degree burns in a chemistry lab accident.

According to Larry Langford from Chicago Fire Media, the 16-year-old female student was transported to Illinois Masonic Hospital with second degree burns on her hands. Four other students were hospitalized as a precaution.

The fire started when students were doing an experiment with methanol and the vessel holding the burning methanol shattered.

CPS released a statement saying, “During a routine flame testing exercise in a chemistry class at Lincoln Park, a mechanical malfunction occurred resulting in a small fire. The instructor promptly extinguished the flame, accessed the safety of all the students and followed additional safety procedures.”

Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live