Oak Lawn 911 Center Goes Private
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
OAK LAWN, Ill. (STMW) – Oak Lawn’s 911 center is going private this week, the Southtown Star is reporting.
Village manager Larry Deetjen announced at last week’s village board meeting that the center will be run by a private company as of Wednesday, now that a tentative agreement has been reached between the village and the union for the dispatchers.
“In essence, the agreement reached will settle any and all disputes and claims between the parties,” Deetjen said, referring to two unfair labor practice charges filed by Chapter 351 of the Metropolitan Alliance of Police against the village.
He said both sides met for nine hours Tuesday to reach the settlement.
“We had an excellent mediator from the Illinois Labor Relations Board who listened to the facts. That’s what it ought to be, labor and management talking to each other,” Deetjen said, adding that he could not discuss details of the agreement until after Chapter 351’s board approves the settlement.
The details are expected to be disclosed at the Jan. 28 village board meeting, according to the village.
“Everything was rolled into a nice, steamy nine-hour meeting,” Mayor Sandra Bury said.
During last week’s board meeting, Trustee Bob Streit (3rd) expressed concern about how many of the 20 dispatchers will be retained by Norcomm Public Safety Communications. Deetjen said some would stay on but he did not know exactly how many.
“Some will continue on as employees of Norcomm, and others will accept positions in the public or private sector at their own choice,” Deetjen said. “It will still remain a regional emergency call center.”
Besides Oak Lawn, the 911 center handles police calls for Bridgeview, Burbank and Evergreen Park and fire calls for Bedford Park and the Central Stickney Fire Protection District.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)