Local

Elderly Man Dies In Chatham Fire

View Comments
Featured & Trending:

Latest News Headlines:

(STMW) – An elderly man died after a fire left his South Side Chatham neighborhood home uninhabitable Friday night.

The fire was reported about 8:40 p.m. in a 2 1/2-story house in the 700 block of East 88th Place, Fire Media Affairs said.

While it was unclear where the fire started, it spread to a rear second-floor bedroom by the time firefighters arrived, according to Fire Media Affairs.

Peter Stewart, 81, was trapped in the house before he was rescued and taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:29 p.m., authorities said.

No other injuries were reported, and a woman who also lived in the house is staying with relatives, according to Fire Media Affairs.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments