Ground Beef Recall Issued
Morgan’s Meat Market, a Mattoon, Ill., establishment, has recalled approximately 216 pounds of uninspected ground beef products. Under state and federal regulations, meat products produced without the benefit of inspection are considered unfit for human consumption and are required to be recalled.
The Illinois Department of Agriculture discovered the potential health hazard during an investigation that is ongoing. Meat and Poultry inspectors also determined the products included in the recall were not produced using mandatory HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) plans, a systematic, preventive approach to food safety that seeks to eliminate risks from biological, chemical and physical hazards in production processes.
IDOA has received no reports of illness due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned they may have contracted a food-borne illness should contact their health care provider.
Products subject to the recall were sold at one retail location in Effingham, Ill. They bear the establishment number “EST. 516” inside the Illinois Mark of Inspection and the following package information:
- 2 lb. containers labeled “Ground Beef” with production dates of DEC 02 2013 and DEC 31 2013
- 2lb. plastic bags labeled “Smokey’s Bacon & Cheddar Fluffy Burgers” with production dates of DEC 02 2013; DEC 31 2013; FEB 18 2014; MAR 31 2014; APR 01 2014 and APR 28 2014
- 2 lb. plastic bags labeled “Swiss & Mushroom Fluffy Burger” dated APR 28 2014
- 2lb. plastic bags labeled “Black and Blue Fluffy Burger” dated APR 28 2014
- 2 lb. plastic bags labeled “Jalapeno Fluffy Burger” dated MAR 31 2014, and APR 28 2014
- 2 lb. plastic bags labeled “Hawaiian Fluffy Burger “ dated MAR 31 2014 and APR 28 2014
- 2 lb. plastic bags labeled “Chili Cheese Fluffy Burgers” dated FEB 18 2014; APR 01 2014; and APR 28 2014.
Consumers and reporters who have questions about the recall can contact the plant’s representative, Charles Morgan, at (217) 234 4949.
– The Illinois Department of Agriculture