HUNTLEY, Ill. (CBS) — A domestic dispute in northwest suburban Huntley turned deadly Monday evening, as relatives gathered to mourn the drowning of another family member.

Police said three people were shot, one fatally, around 5 p.m. in the 11400 block of Morning Glory Lane. Huntley Police Chief John Perkins said officers rushed to the scene after an elderly woman called police, saying she’d been shot.

When they arrived, officers found 48-year-old Robert Grundei, his 50-year-old brother Mark and 81-their year-old mother Alyce all had been shot.

Deputy Police Chief Mike Klunk said it appears Robert and Mark Grundei were fighting over who was going to live in their mother’s house, despite the fact it recently had been sold to a new owner. Robert Grundei had returned to Huntley from Florida for another brother’s funeral, and allegedly planned to move into his mother’s house, and have his older brother Mark pushed out. Mark apparently was upset by that, according to Klunk, even though all of them would have to be out of the home within weeks, anyway.

“We know that she had the home. The house actually was up for sale, and I believe it has been sold, so what the living arrangements were going to be after the sale of the home, I do not know,” Klunk said. “The for sale sign does say sold on the top of it, and we believe it was mid-June or so they were going to be moving out of the home anyway.”

Police believe Mark Grundei shot his brother, then tried to kill himself.

Klunk said it’s possible Alyce Grundei tried to stop the fight when the shooting began, and she was grazed by a bullet. She had the gun in her possession when officers arrived.

“We did a preliminary interview with her yesterday. Obviously, there was a lot going on; dramatic experiences, things of that nature. So we’re going to do a more in-depth conversation to see if we can get additional information,” Klunk said.

All three victims were taken to Advocate Sherman Hospital in Elgin, where Robert Grundei was pronounced dead. Mark Grundei was in critical condition, and his mother was released by Tuesday morning.

Police said, less than two weeks ago, they went to the same house to inform Alyce Grundei her youngest son, Brian, had drowned near his home in Deerfield.

Robert Grundei had traveled to his mother’s house from his home in Florida for Brian’s funeral. He and his brother Mark got into an argument sometime Monday afternoon, though police have not yet said what the dispute was about.

Watch & Listen LIVE