Gun Charges Dropped Against Former Ald. Sharon Dixon
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (STMW) – Prosecutors dropped gun charges against former Ald. Sharon Dixon (24th) Tuesday, but she has agreed to seek treatment in a 90-day inpatient program.
Last year, a Cook County judge ruled that Dixon was unfit to stand trial on charges alleging she approached Chicago Police officers outside the 10th district with a loaded gun in the spring of 2013.
Dixon, 51, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and possessing a firearm without a license for the May 4, 2013 incident.
She was remanded to the Illinois Department of Human Services for an evaluation.
Prosecutors said several hours before the officers say they saw her with a weapon in the 2013 incident, Dixon had been walking in and out of the police station in the 3300 block of West Ogden. At one point, Dixon allegedly approached the officers, pointed to a car and asked, “Is this D’s car?”
Officers then noticed her holstered gun and her hands on the weapon, Assistant State’s Attorney Lorraine Scaduto said at the bond hearing following Dixon ’s arrest.
Police said Dixon then said, “I’ve got a gun,” and gestured toward her hip, where she exposed the handle of the gun in her waistband as she waved the gun ’s holster in the air.
Dixon was arrested and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital for a psychological evaluation.
In 2009, Dixon was arrested and charged with DUI after being pulled over in Rogers Park.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)