Teen Held In Valparaiso School Bomb Threat
VALPARAISO, Ind. (STMW) – A 15-year-old Valparaiso High School student was in custody Thursday at the Porter County Juvenile Detention Center after allegedly explaining to police that she called in a bomb threat at Valparaiso High School to get out of taking a test.
She has been charged with false informing, a Class D felony, and criminal recklessness, a Class B misdemeanor.
The school, at 2727 Campbell St., was placed on lockdown for about an hour after it received a call about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday that devices had been planted throughout the building.
Police and the school staff did not find anything during a search of the interior and exterior of the facility.
Valparaiso Police said in a news release that shortly after the search, they received an anonymous tip through the department’s TIP411 program, which provided them with information regarding a possible suspect.
The information from the anonymous tip greatly benefited the police and school officials during their investigation, Police Chief Michael Brickner said.
“This is a great example of a tipster getting involved and providing information to help keep schools safer,” he said. “Also, school officials and police worked very well together during this incident.”
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)