CHICAGO (CBS) — It might be six months before village officials and police in south suburban Steger will be able to go back to the village hall, which was heavily damaged by fire this week.
Village Mayor Ken Peterson said it’s still unclear whether a lightning strike is to blame for a power surge that started the fire during Monday night’s storms. He said the leading theory is a power surge caused a surge protector or a copy machine to catch fire.
“The fire kind of ran up the wall and then ran down the hallway, but the doors were closed in all the offices, and at each end of the hallway. So we believe what happened is the fire ran out of oxygen, kind of started smoldering, but then when they opened the doors to find out what was going on, they relit the fire,” he said.