Man Accused Of Six Assaults In Southwest Suburbs Held On $750,000 Bond
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
(STMW) — A south suburban Steger man was ordered held on $750,000 bail Saturday, accused of sexually assaulting at least six different victims between March and June.
Monroe Akins, 37, of the 3400 block of Kings Road, faces sexual abuse charges in connection with the attacks, the Sun-Times is reporting.
Akins is accused of a string of assaults that began in mid-March:
- On March 18, around 6:30 p.m., prosecutors said, when a 16-year-old girl walking home from school through Winnebago Park in Park Forest was attacked. A man pressed a knife against her abdomen and sexually assaulted her, according to police records.
- On March 20, around 8:20 a.m., a 17-year-old girl walking to school two blocks from Winnebago Park also was assaulted, authorities said.
- On March 31, around 5:30 p.m., a 16-year-old girl walking home from school near Sangamon Street and Shabbona Drive in Park Forest was grabbed by a man, but the teenager escaped and told her mother, police records show.
- On April 22 at 8:15 a.m., a 44-year-old woman on her way to the Richton Park Metra station was attacked, according to court records.
- On June 3 at 4:30 p.m., a 24-year-old woman walking home from the same Metra station was approached by a man who grabbed her waist, records show.
- In the most recent attack, on June 22, a man walked up to an 18-year-old woman walking her dog, authorities said. He allegedly grabbed her from behind and began to kiss her.
The victims each identified Akin in a police lineup, according to court documents. At least three suburban police departments coordinated issued warnings after the first several attacks.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)