(CBS) — A 20-year-old man whose interaction with police and Secret Service agents outside of President Obama’s Kenwood home earlier this week prompted a bomb squad response has been ordered held on $250,000 bond.
WBBM’s Bob Roberts spoke with the man’s attorney, Jeffry Mandell, who says Marquez Hassell, 20, did nothing wrong on Thursday when authorities sprang into action.
“My client said nothing. He dropped a bag in front of the Secret Service. He wasn’t trespassing and they found nothing in the bag that would suggest there was anything that could produce a bomb,” Mandell says.
The bag contained pieces of broken glass, an empty aerosol can and some personal hygiene items, the attorney says.
“I can understand protecting the president – that’s necessary,” Mandell tells WBBM. “Every little thing has to be investigated. But he didn’t deserve to be charged with a felony disorderly (conduct).”
Hassell told authorities he is the president’s son and said Mr. Obama would return Thursday night. He underwent a medical evaluation upon being taken into custody, police said.
If he is released on bond, Hassell will have to wear an electronic monitoring device.