(CBS) One of the leading figures and most influential voices in the Penn State faction that’s looking to restore the legacy of the late former coach Joe Paterno following his role in the Jerry Sandusky child rape scandal, school trustee Anthony Lubrano emphasized that his viewpoint hasn’t changed despite more court documents emerging Tuesday morning that Paterno was told by a 14-year-old boy in 1976 that he’d been sexually assaulted by Sandusky.
Paterno then responded by doing nothing, saying he had a football season to worry about, per court documents of sworn testimony. This news was in stark contrast to previous timelines of when Paterno was believed have known about Sandusky’s abuses. Before his death in 2012, Paterno claimed the first idea he had that Sandusky might be abusing children was in 2001. A university-commissioned has previously indicated Paterno likely knew in 1998.
With that as context, Lubrano indicated he’ll keep his support for Paterno going, saying it’s “completely wrong” to call Paterno a “knowing facilitator of decades of child rape.” Recently, 200 former players signed a petition calling for Paterno’s statue to be returned to campus.
“Unsubstantiated and uncorroborated — if you’ve been following this carefully, you’ll know the Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney General’s solicitor general made that very clear in the last several weeks,” Lubrano said in an interview with Dan Bernstein and Barry Rozner on 670 The Score.
“What I’m saying is we have uncorroborated and unsubstantiated allegations.
“This information that you see today is part of a larger process in which there’s a great deal of more information that wasn’t made part of the record.”