(CBS) — A disabled veteran and her family are without heat and left without options on a dangerously cold night.
Crews in south suburban Markham ruptured a gas line while trying to fix a water main break.
CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar reports.
Crews battled frigid temps to try and restore the water main and gas line, but for at least one family the timing couldn’t have been worse.
The temperature inside her home was 41 degrees.
Yolanda’s mother is a disabled Army veteran.
Her 3-year-old daughter is wearing full winter gear inside,
“I’m angry, and I’m disappointed,” says Patterson, who shot video from her window showing water rushing from an apparent main break as crews were working.
There was a surprise – not the good kind. The gas line was accidentally hit.
“A lady banged on the door and she said, ‘You guys have to go now,’” Yolanda says.
She says she got the runaround from Nicor and the city.
The city did offer to put the family up in a hotel late Monday evening, but De Mar reports the ruptures were repaired and heat was restored.