2012 Cubs Spring Training
Alfonso Soriano hit a two-run double and Dioner Navarro followed with two-run homer Sunday, leading the Chicago Cubs past the San Diego Padres 9-3.
Starlin Castro hit a two-run homer in the first inning off minor leaguer Kyle Heckathorn, and the Cubs beat a Milwaukee Brewers’ split squad 5-3 Tuesday in Chicago’s spring training finale.
Darwin Barney hit an RBI triple off Jered Weaver that broke a scoreless tie in the sixth inning and the Chicago Cubs beat the Los Angeles Angels 8-1 Sunday.
The Cubs acquired first baseman prospect Jair Bogaerts from the Red Sox Thursday to complete the compensation deal for Theo Epstein.
While most of the Cubs players were getting ready for morning workouts at HoHoKam Stadium Thursday, a few were instead cleaning out their lockers after getting cut.
Jeff Samardzija meets the media after throwing six scoreless innings against the Indians, an outing that likely locked down a rotation spot.
Jeff Samardzija rebounded from a subpar effort in his previous start to give up three hits in six shutout innings and the Chicago Cubs held on for a 2-0 victory over Cleveland at HoHoKam Stadium on Wednesday.
After the right-hander gave up seven earned runs in just four innings his last time out, Cubs manager Dale Sveum made it clear Wednesday morning that Samardzija’s outing would have an impact on whether or not he makes the rotation.
Cubs manager Dale Sveum will sit down with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer Wednesday night and make the final roster decisions before the team breaks camp next week.
Cincinnati right-hander Mat Latos strained his left calf during a 7-4 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday, providing another pitching concern for the Reds.
Bryan LaHair is less than two weeks away from breaking camp on a big league opening day roster for the first time. The timing should be just about right for the Chicago Cubs first baseman, considering he has nearly 1,000 career at-bats in the minors and just 65 in the majors.
Top prospects Anthony Rizzo and Brett Jackson were cut by the Cubs on Friday.
Neftali Feliz pitched three scoreless innings, then left with shoulder stiffness Tuesday during the Texas Rangers’ 6-2 victory over a Chicago Cubs’ split squad.
Jonny Gomes homered to start a three-run rally in the ninth, and the Oakland Athletics tied a Chicago Cubs’ split squad 5-5 in 10 innings Tuesday.
Cubs closer Carlos Marmol left Tuesday’s game in the seventh inning with a cramp in his pitching hand. He’ll undergo a precautionary MRI on the hand to make sure there’s no damage.
Derek Holland allowed one hit in four scoreless innings, and the Texas Rangers beat the Chicago Cubs 12-7 Saturday in a split-squad game at Cashman Field.
Seth Smith had a two-run double among his three hits, and the Oakland Athletics scored three unearned runs off Paul Maholm in the first inning and beat the Chicago Cubs 4-3 in a game between split squads Saturday.
Cubs starter Matt Garza was much better in his third start than his first two. Garza threw three innings and gave up two earned on three hits and a walk. He struck out three and, most importantly, said it’s all going to plan.
People used to wonder where Soriano would hit in the lineup. Whether leadoff, clean-up or eight-spot Soriano has hit from nearly everywhere. This year, manager Dale Sveum has cleared up a lot of confusion.
Randy Wolf retired six of the first seven batters he faced Wednesday and extended his scoreless streak into an eighth inning this spring before a two-run fourth as Milwaukee beat the Chicago Cubs 10-2 Wednesday.
- Morton West High School Placed On LockdownMorton West High School has been placed on lock down for precautionary reasons after an unknown individual entered the building.450
- Former Glenbard East Student Accused Of Planning Columbine-Type AttackA 19-year-old former student at Glenbard East High School in Lombard was in custody on Wednesday, accused of planning a "Columbine-style" attack on the school, with a list of people he wanted to target.383
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.351
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!