Ald. Proco Joe Moreno
Several aldermen have joined community activists in calling for passage of a measure designed to prevent more buildings from becoming vacant.
The local Chick-Fil-A controversy seemed to be settled around this time last week, when Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) said he had made peace with the fast food chain, following what he said was its new pledge regarding gay rights issues.
Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno recently said Chick-Fil-A issued a statement respecting all sexual orientations, and promised to end donations to anti-gay organizations. But former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, said nothing had changed and Chick-Fil-A had made no concessions.
Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) reportedly says he will now let Chick-Fil-A go ahead with plans for a location in his ward, after the fast food chain issued a statement respecting all sexual orientations and promised to end donations to anti-gay organizations.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel was standing firm Wednesday on the two biggest roadblocks in the Chicago teachers’ strike–teacher evaluations and principals’ discretion over teacher hiring–but said he’s not willing to use a possible legal hammer to force an end to the strike, at least not yet.
Chicago gay rights activists are planning another protest Wednesday outside the city’s only Chick-Fil-A.
A Chicago-based gay rights advocacy group has filed multiple complaints against Chick-Fil-A with the Illinois Department of Human Rights, in the latest twist in the culture clash surrounding the fast food chain.
The Chick-Fil-A controversy now has Francis Cardinal George upset, but Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) –who said he would deny the fast food restaurant a permit to open in his ward – is firing back.
The culture clash over Chick-Fil-A came to a head on Wednesday, with supporters in Chicago and around the country turning out for an “appreciation day” first proposed by former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.
A Logan Square neighborhood pastor used the controversy over a proposal to build a new Chick-Fil-A restaurant in Chicago as part of his sermon Sunday, asking those opposed to the new franchise to reverse course.
A Lombard village trustee who also serves as the attorney for a conservative religious law firm is publicly defending Chick-Fil-A, after Chicago Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) announced he would block the fast food restaurant from opening in his ward over the company’s opposition to gay rights.
The chairman of the City Council’s Zoning Committee is warning Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) not to try to block a Chick-Fil-A restaurant from coming to his ward simply because the head of the company publicly opposes same sex marriage.
The gay rights group Equality Illinois is launching a campaign against Chick-Fil-A – petitioning universities and lawmakers to evict the fast food restaurant from their campuses and planning a “kiss-in” campaign by gay and lesbian couples outside Chick-Fil-A restaurants.
Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) is standing his ground on plans to block efforts by Chick-Fil-A to open a second Chicago restaurant, because the company’s president vocally opposes same-sex marriage.
The City Council Zoning Committee has approved a measure that would allow more small businesses owners to cut their commuting time down to just about nothing.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is not happy with a rogue recycling firm that put up trash and recycling bins on city streets without proper permits; and the mayor’s especially unhappy with Ald. Proco Joe Moreno (1st), whose name and face adorn the cans.
It’s one of the oldest no-no’s in politics: no campaign signs on public property. In this case, an alderman putting out trash cans and recycling bins in his ward, with his picture on them, while running for ward committeeman.
Members of the Latino community in the Humboldt Park neighborhood are not the slightest bit amused by a bakery’s choice of names for one of its desserts.
Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) plans to introduce an ordinance that would establish a commission on transgender issues in the Chicago Police Department.
Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) has introduced his ordinance calling for a ban on plastic bags at large retailers in the city.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!