Ald. Scott Waguespack
Union leaders and retirees blasted Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Wednesday for saving $108.7 million by phasing out a city subsidy for retiree health care and using roughly the same amount of public money to build a new basketball arena near McCormick Place.
After facing vociferous backlash from residents over the hated parking meter lease, two dozen Chicago aldermen have rushed to support the Emanuel administration’s agreement with the parking meter firm to offer free Sunday parking, as part of a series of proposed changes to the 75-year deal.
Several members of the Chicago City Council said Tuesday they’ll be speaking out and pushing hard to reform City Hall, which could put them at odds with Mayor Rahm Emanuel and some of their colleagues.
Some Chicago aldermen said Tuesday that the city’s janitorial contract at O’Hare International Airport should be rebid, over concerns about the layoffs the contract would mean for union janitors, as well as the company’s ties to mob figures.
Members of the Chicago City Council’s self-described “progressive caucus” said the mayor’s office isn’t giving residents enough of a chance to discuss the city budget, so they’ll hold more budget hearings of their own.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel insisted Tuesday that one of his big supporters is not a shoo-in to make money from the speed camera enforcement program he’s planning, and will have to bid for the contract like any other company that wants it.
City Hall has said it would activate fewer than 100 speed cameras around schools and parks to keep environments safe for kids. But one alderman fears that number could be larger — a lot larger.
When Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s budget passed, an agreement had ensured that Chicago public libraries would close only on Monday and Friday mornings. But that has now changed.
Another week, another embarrassing detail concerning the city’s parking meter monopoly; Chicago Parking Meters LLC has sent City Hall another bill for lost revenue from the city’s parking meters.
Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel said Wednesday that voters in Tuesday’s election sent the same message as when he was elected mayor in February: Chicagoans are demanding change.
CHICAGO (STMW) – If you park on the street, get ready to shell out — again.
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!