Chicago is synonymous with classic architecture, and public art projects like the Picasso and the so-called “Bean” at Millennium Park. Now there’s a newly unveiled light sculpture project in the South Loop. We asked 2- investigator Pam Zekman to check out how much it cost. And who is paying for it?
Students at the Kenwood high school are taught traditional subjects through the lens of art. CBS 2′s Kate Sullivan reports.
Here are my top five events for December. Go to them. That’s the point of this article.
“The Curators Of Dixon School” looks at the relationship between artworks on display at the CPS school and its influence on youngsters. CBS 2′s Derrick Blakley, a Dixon alum, reports.
The Bucktown Arts fest has grown to become a neighborhood tradition and one of the city’s premier arts festivals showcasing close to 200 participating artists, plus countless musicians, dancers, poets, performers and attracting more than 30,000 visitors annually…
Printers’ Ball is a party in celebration of everything print! Free beer, free books, free entertainment, what could be better? No, really, what?
Three robbers posing as delivery men entered a north suburban home, knocked down and duct-taped the elderly residents, and stole several pieces of artwork valued at more than $100,000.
If you want to display contemporary art in your home, for free, there’s another option now besides letting your kids loose with fingerpaint on your walls.
When you look at a painting or drawing, you’re not surprised when you see artwork that’s abstract or presents a spin on its subject. But with photography, there’s the sense that what you’re seeing is an accurate depiction of the world. However, that’s not always the case—a show at the Museum of Contemporary Photography, “Limits of Photography,” explores what happens when artists challenge the medium and manipulate it in compelling ways.
Hungry Brain is a Roscoe Village bar that’s a dive, but in the good kind of way, inviting to everyone and anyone. Take a look at what The Bartender has to say about the place and its customers. Find out why you might want to check it out.
The strange object that sits on top of the Art Institute of Chicago looks like it comes from another world. It resembles an insect, with a ball in the middle, two solar panels sticking out from the sides like wings, and three legs anchoring it to the ground. The object is an installation by artist Spencer Finch called “Lunar” and it’s completely surreal set against the Chicago skyline…
The images in “Crime Unseen,” the Museum of Contemporary Photography’s latest show, are lurid, dark, and incredibly captivating. Each of the photographers takes pictures of crime scenes, well after the crime has occurred…
The Lill Street Art Center offers amazing kids classes, fun-themed kid’s camps, family drop-in workshops and adult classes in seven different departments: ceramics, metalsmithing & jewelry, painting & drawing, printmaking, textiles, glass, and digital arts & photography. So why not visit?
How does art free a brain that is hurting? Is there something in the creation that reacts with colors and process and form and texture? CBS 2′s Bill Kurtis reports.
I Myself Have Seen It: Photography and Kiki Smith, which runs through August 14 at the Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, offers a survey of Smith’s photography and explores the ways the medium enhances her other artwork.
When said together, they’re three of the most beautiful words in the English language: Three Day Weekend! Memorial Day is on Monday, and whether you observe the holiday in some way or just enjoy your extra time off, there are plenty of activities taking place around town.
Artists are depicting Mayor Richard M. Daley — both the positive and the negative sides — at a gallery show in Wicker Park.
Stock up on art and other treasures for your home. From North to South, indoor and outdoor, here are the best art fairs in the city. Randolph Street Market randolphstreetmarket.com See an exciting array of […]
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!