“Matilda: The Musical” is a witty musical adaptation of the novel by Roald Dahl and is true to his bleak vision of childhood as a savage battleground.
What does it take to make a great Broadway musical? A talented score, a clever book, great singing and dancing, impressive costumes and an engaging set. Do all great musicals hit all of these points equally well? Of course not. But “Kinky Boots” does.
The nominations were announced Tuesday in a televised event co-hosted by Tony winner Sutton Foster and “Modern Family” star Jesse Tyler Ferguson. The awards will be broadcast on CBS from Radio City Music Hall on June 9.
The woman approached a teller at a bank in the 5300 block of North Broadway, said she had a gun and demanded money.
Producers of the show were forced to find a new home for the 2011 event after Cirque du Soleil moved into the 6,000-seat Rockefeller Center arena with its $50 million acrobatic rock opera “Zarkana.” The Tonys had been hosted at Radio City from 1997-2010.
A 26-year-old man has been charged with drunk driving, running a red light, driving without a license or insurance and other traffic violations, after he struck and critically injured an 87-year-old man who was crossing a street in the Uptown neighborhood on Friday morning.
Broadway is undergoing a continuing transformation with an assortment of new businesses in the East Lakeview neighborhood, but meanwhile, an old, familiar establishment now is set to close after almost 70 years in operation.
A man is dead after being shot on busy Broadway in the Edgewater neighborhood.
The westbound Borman Expressway in Northwest Indiana was down to one lane Wednesday morning, after four semi-trailer trucks were involved in a crash.
A woman who was found shot and stabbed to death in her Uptown neighborhood apartment was well known as the operator of a hair salon nearby, according to published reports.
At least 17 people have been wounded – two fatally – in shootings around the city since Friday night.
A 45-year-old woman was found shot to death in an apartment in the Uptown neighborhood Sunday morning.
An East Lakeview neighborhood couple is raising a stink about their neighbor because of her 20 cats.
While an assortment of new businesses are bringing a renaissance to Broadway in the East Lakeview neighborhood, neighbors will soon say goodbye to one popular local establishment after more than 20 years in operation.
Six people were injured in a crash in the North Side Uptown neighborhood early Sunday.
The vacant building that housed Goldblatt’s, and later Borders, in the Uptown neighborhood has been purchased by an investor who plans to bring in new businesses, according to a published report.
As you’ve no doubt heard by now, big changes are in store for the Gay Pride Parade this Sunday – and organizers are urging spectators to camp out on the new Uptown leg of the route.
A Rogers Park man stands charged with shooting and killing a 13-year-old boy in a pizzeria at Foster Avenue and Broadway in the Uptown neighborhood.
A 13-year-old boy from West Rogers Park is dead after being shot early Tuesday in the Uptown neighborhood, near Foster Avenue and Broadway.
A 5-foot 2-inch, 110-pound Uptown neighborhood woman is charged with shoving Ald. James Cappleman (46th) after he cleared away the breadcrumbs she had spread for pigeons.
- Former Glenbard East Student Charged With Planning Violence At SchoolIn November, Michael Santoro allegedly made plans of a violent nature against the school, but the alleged plans remained unknown an acquaintance reported the threat to police two weeks ago, after learning about the plans in February.291
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.311
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!