Darwin Barney had three RBIs and the Chicago Cubs used shortstop Jhonny Peralta’s two throwing errors in the eighth inning to push across the winning run in a 4-3 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday night.
The Cubs have activated reliever Carlos Marmol from the 15-day disabled list and optioned Rafael Dolis to Triple-A Iowa.
The Chicago Cubs placed right-handed pitcher Carlos Marmol on the disabled list Saturday with a strained right hamstring, and called up right-handed pitcher Casey Coleman from Triple-A Iowa.
Chris Volstad continued his dissapointing season with the Cubs today. Cubs lose 5-1.
What had been speculated since Carlos Marmol gave up three runs, blowing the Cubs lead in the Thursday’s game, became official Friday when manager Dale Sveum announced Marmol is out as the Cubs closer.
Cubs manager Dave Sveum said he will think about making a closer change and added that James Russell and Rafael Dolis are his only other options.
Bryan LaHair and Ian Stewart hit solo homers – a major outburst for the power-challenged Chicago Cubs – and Jeff Samardzija pitched into the eighth inning on Wednesday night for a 3-1 victory over the Cincinnati Reds.
Matt Garza executed his plan to near perfection. Garza pitched one-hit ball for seven shutout innings and struck out 10 Sunday as the Chicago Cubs beat the Philadelphia Phillies 5-1.
On Sunday, the onetime wide receiver strung together a series of goose eggs on Easter to dazzle in his 2012 debut and make it appear as if that day has perhaps finally arrived.
Jeff Samardzija felt he had something to prove. He certainly made his point on the mound. Samardzija dominated into the ninth, outpitching Jordan Zimmermann, and the Chicago Cubs beat the Washington Nationals 4-3 Sunday for their first win of the Theo Epstein era.
Well so far the new Cubs regime looks a lot like the old one. More losses, and ugly ones at that. Yes, it’s only two games into a long season but it’s awfully deflating when the two losses have come the way they have, so far.
Carlos Marmol insists it’s too soon for him to be frustrated. Cubs fans sure are, though. Adam LaRoche homered and matched a career-high with four hits, and the Washington Nationals again rallied late against Kerry Wood and Marmol, scoring five runs in the eighth to beat the Chicago Cubs 7-4 on Saturday.
As Ryan Dempster left the field at Wrigley to a standing ovation, the Chicago Cubs looked ready to start the Theo Epstein era on a winning note. The cheers didn’t last. The lead didn’t either.
Cubs manager Dale Sveum will sit down with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer Wednesday night and make the final roster decisions before the team breaks camp next week.
Bryan LaHair is less than two weeks away from breaking camp on a big league opening day roster for the first time. The timing should be just about right for the Chicago Cubs first baseman, considering he has nearly 1,000 career at-bats in the minors and just 65 in the majors.
Cubs closer Carlos Marmol left Tuesday’s game in the seventh inning with a cramp in his pitching hand. He’ll undergo a precautionary MRI on the hand to make sure there’s no damage.
At least Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo and Chicago Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol have plenty of time to work out the kinks. Arroyo was hit hard and Marmol also struggled during Chicago’s 8-6 exhibition victory over Cincinnati on Monday.
Brandon Allen belted a grand slam and drove in seven runs, and the Oakland Athletics beat the Cubs 12-10 on Sunday to spoil Chicago’s spring training opener.
The Cardinals kept their faint wild-card hopes alive when Carlos Marmol forced home the tying run with a bases-loaded walk to Ryan Theriot, followed with a game-ending wild pitch.
Aramis Ramirez hit a two-run single with two outs in the ninth inning, rallying the Chicago Cubs past the New York Mets 5-4 after blowing a three-run lead in the eighth Saturday.
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Teen Fatally Stabbed In Fight Outside Suburban Grocery StoreRomeoville police say a 17-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man got into a fight in the parking lot outside the Jewel-Osco on Weber Road.432
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!