Charges will be dismissed against a man who spent nearly 30 years in prison for the 1984 sexual assault and murder of a 15-year-old suburban Chicago girl, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday.
Prosecutors argued Vandetta Redwood initially told police she was not there when 14-year-old Endia Martin was shot, but a cell phone video obtained by police put her at the scene. Judge Donald Panarese Jr. called the video “choppy” and “poor,” then ruled the state did not meet the burden of proof.
Judge Diane Ross Boswell’s decision Wednesday in the case against Demonte Yanders was not requested by prosecutors nor Yanders’ attorney and came after the judge rejected the state’s request that Tiffany Swagerty be jailed until she appeared for pretrial questioning by the defense.
A Zimbabwean magistrate on Friday dismissed charges against former U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds of possessing pornography, and he was ordered to pay a fine or face jail time after pleading guilty to charges of violating the country’s immigration laws.
A Chicago man released from prison last year after serving 20 years for a double homicide filed a federal lawsuit Monday alleging that officers beat him into confessing to the crime and suppressed evidence that proved his innocence.
Lake County prosecutors dismissed a 20-year-old rape case Tuesday.
Charges were dismissed on Monday for a grocery delivery truck driver charged last month with allegedly sexually assaulting a customer inside her South Loop home.
Cook County prosecutors have dismissed felony charges against the first group of offenders who successfully completed a new alternative program aimed at giving first-time, non-violent offenders a second chance.