Chicago Board of Education
Hours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.
On the eve of a Board of Education vote, and amid some vociferous opposition from teachers and some parents and students, Mayor Rahm Emanuel was standing by his plan to close more than 50 Chicago public schools.
City streets could be full of protesters again on Monday, as the Chicago Teachers Union wraps up a three-day march to voice opposition to plans to close more than 50 public schools.
In fact, Mayor Rahm Emanuel hinted strongly that recommendations made by the retired judges — stemming from concerns about the security of some students and the special education needs of others — would not be followed by his handpicked school board.
Aldermen grilled Chicago Public Schools officials and Chicago Teachers Union members Wednesday, over the plan to close 53 schools at the end of the school year, while the head of the school district answered critics at a Board of Education meeting.
Chicago Public Schools will close 54 school programs and 61 buildings in an effort to close a $1 billion budget deficit.
Chicago businesswoman Penny Pritzker has resigned from the Chicago Board of Education.
Chicago Public Schools officials announced Friday that they plan to move all schools to the same calendar next year, doing away with “year-round” schools, in an effort to make it easier for parents to plan their work and daycare schedules.
Chicago Public Schools leaders were again denying Wednesday that they already have a list of scores of schools they are targeting for closure next year.
The Chicago Teachers Union announced late Wednesday that teachers have voted to ratify a new contract with the Chicago Public Schools.
Chicago Board of Education President David Vitale said Monday morning it’s “unconscionable” that Chicago Public Schools students are being kept out of class for a 6th day, due to the teachers’ strike, despite a tentative agreement between negotiators for CPS and the Chicago Teachers Union.
Thousands of striking teachers and their supporters were marching down Michigan Avenue on Thursday, after rallying outside a hotel owned by the billionaire family of a Chicago Board of Education member.
Chicago Public Schools teachers went on strike for the fist time in a quarter century on Monday, after the latest contract talks broke down Sunday with no deal to avert a walkout.
Chicago Public Schools officials and teachers continued contract negotiations Sunday morning, in talks union officials described as “intense,” with a midnight deadline looming for a teachers’ strike.
A coalition of Chicago parents, activists, and teachers said Monday it has enough signatures to get the idea of an elected school board for Chicago Public Schools on the ballot in November.
The Chicago Board of Education and the Chicago Teachers Union have both unanimously rejected an independent arbitrator’s suggestions on how to end the contract stalemate with public school teachers.
A mother is suing the Chicago Board of Education, claiming an employee at her son’s public elementary school punched him in a 2010 confrontation while taking him to the principal’s office.
CBS 2′s Walter Jacobson says the Chicago Board of Education and the Chicago Teachers Union should stop acting like children.
A woman who works for the Chicago School Board is suing her employer and her supervisor claiming she was regularly sexually harassed at work for more than a year.
The Chicago Board of Education and the union representing 3,300 lunchroom workers have reached a contract deal, providing modest raises and a commitment to serve better food.
- Employee At Dunbar High Suspended After Pushing Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.314
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Student Pulled Over And Robbed By Phony Police OfficerA man driving an unmarked white Ford Crown Victoria with interior flashing red and blue lights pulled the student over near Ballard and Bender roads in Des Plaines as she was driving to school around 7:30 a.m. on May 20.340
- Census Data: Chicago Slowest Growing Big City In U.S.Chicago gained nearly 10,000 people from July 2011 to July 2012, but was the slowest-growing major city in the country according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates released Thursday.130
- Bodies Of 2 Men Found In Car In West EnglewoodTwo bodies were found inside a car on the South Side and one of the victims worked for Cook County Circuit Court Clerk Dorothy Brown.218
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!