They profess their friendship for each other, but Gov. Pat Quinn and Mayor Rahm Emanuel continued to verbally spar on Tuesday over legislation that would clear the way for a massive expansion of gambling in Illinois, including a casino in Chicago.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Monday used the example of a big sinkhole that swallowed a car on Saturday to make a point about the need for a Chicago casino – a not-so-subtle shot at Gov. Pat Quinn’s reluctance to sign a bill that would allow for a major expansion of gambling in Illinois.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel says he and Gov. Pat Quinn should be able to work out their differences over legislation that would clear the way for a casino in Chicago, among other places.
The Chicago Crime Commission on Wednesday said that legislation to allow for a massive expansion of gambling in Illinois is “deeply flawed” and would be bad for the state.
If the massive gambling expansion bill now on Gov. Pat Quinn’s desk goes ahead, it would mean extremely tough competition for casinos in places such as Hammond, Ind., and Joliet.
The Illinois House has passed proposed legislation that would pave the way for a major expansion of casino gambling throughout the state.
The Chicago City Council’s powerful Finance Committee chairman is watching the debate in Springfield over expansions of casino gambling with great interest.
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!