Chicago Public Schools
The decision to close 49 elementary schools in Chicago is done, but bitterness over the move lingered Thursday morning, as the Chicago Teachers Union vowed to continue their fight against the closings, and parents and students protested the looming closure of their schools.
At one of the schools ordered closed by CPS – there was quiet opposition from some parents today…and some seemed resigned to what is about to happen. CBS 2’s Mike Parker reports.
The Chicago School Board voted to close 49 underutilized or underperforming elementary schools on Wednesday as part of a plan to close a $1 billion budget deficit.
The Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to close 49 elementary schools, in what is believed to be the biggest single mass shutdown of schools in U.S. history.
Hours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.
On the eve of a Board of Education vote, and amid some vociferous opposition from teachers and some parents and students, Mayor Rahm Emanuel was standing by his plan to close more than 50 Chicago public schools.
More than a dozen people protesting the plans to close more than 50 Chicago public schools were arrested on Monday at City Hall.
City streets could be full of protesters again on Monday, as the Chicago Teachers Union wraps up a three-day march to voice opposition to plans to close more than 50 public schools.
Nearly 100,000 Chicago Public Schools students would have to find a new way to get to class starting next week, once the CTA shuts down the south end of the Red Line for a major track overhaul.
In their continuing efforts to oppose plans to close more than 50 public schools, the Chicago Teachers Union filed two federal lawsuits on behalf of parents whose children attend schools targeted for closure or consolidation.
Independent hearing officers enlisted to review plans to close 53 Chicago Public Schools at the end of the school year have opposed at least 13 of the proposed closings.
Baseball teams from Brooks and Payton high schools shared a meal this morning, meeting for the first time since their game was canceled because Payton players didn’t show up.
A Chicago City Council committee is recommending approval of a new charter school in the McKinley Park area that was previously rejected by the Chicago School Board, reports WBBM Political Editor Craig Dellimore.
A new study commissioned by the University of Chicago paints a disappointing picture of technology use among public school students in Chicago.
They are supposed to be taking a mandatory state test today, but about 100 CPS high school students instead were boycotting the test and protesting outside Wednesday’s school board meeting.
As Chicago Public Schools officials get closer to closing more than 50 elementary schools, they were releasing new details Tuesday on how they plan to tackle one of the most sensitive issues: blending two schools into one.
As the plan to close more than 50 Chicago Public Schools moves forward, the head of the Chicago Teachers Union said she has numerous examples of what can go wrong, and has gone wrong with previous school closings and consolidations.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel seemed unfazed Tuesday by word that the Chicago Teachers Union plans to work to oust him from office in the next city election.
Ping Pong proponents assert the game is brain food and a social experience as well as good exercise as the introduce table tennis to cadets at the Chicago Public School Military Academy at 3533 S. Giles, reports WBBM’s John Cody.
In the face of the Chicago Public Schools’ plans to close more than 50 schools this year, the Chicago Teachers Union said Monday it would be making a push to run a candidate against Mayor Rahm Emanuel in two years.
- Divers Pull Body From Lake Michigan On South SideA young man's body has been pulled from Lake Michigan, not far from where a missing University of Chicago student is believed to have been when he vanished during last week's thunderstorms.405
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5015
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!