It happens far too often. Unsuspecting pet owners let their dogs and cats out to play or do their business in the backyard and before they know it – a predator looking for a quick meal has attacked and injured their pet or worse.
Patrick Kane had two goals and an assist, and the Chicago Blackhawks remained the only NHL team without a loss in regulation this season by routing the Phoenix Coyotes 6-2 Thursday night.
Local residents were being warned to keep their pets on a tight leash, as coyotes are out in bigger numbers, and acting more aggressively, likely due to their mating season.
As coyote mating season winds down over the next couple of months, area authorities are alerting residents, especially pet owners, that they may encounter more coyotes than usual now through April.
For those who thought coyotes were shy retiring creatures of the woods, think again.
Backing up a stellar season opener, Marian Hossa scored two goals against the team that knocked him out of last year’s playoffs and the Chicago Blackhawks spoiled another celebration by holding off the Phoenix Coyotes 6-4 Sunday night.
WBBM Newsradio’s Mike Krauser recorded coyotes howling at a passing train in the Indiana Dunes, near Beverly Shores.
Police in west suburban Aurora are advising residents to watch for coyotes after a man was bitten while standing in his yard.
Mike Smith made 39 saves and the Phoenix Coyotes scored three times in the final period to beat the Chicago Blackhawks 4-0 on Monday night and capture their opening-round series in six games.
Jonathan Toews scored 2:44 into overtime and Chicago Blackhawks staved off elimination with a 2-1 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday night.
Game 5 is Saturday night in Arizona.
Blackhawks Coach Joel Quenneville criticized the game officials for failing to call a penalty on Raffi Torres after the Phoenix forward left his feet and hit Marian Hossa in the neck and head area in Game 3.
NHL punishment czar Brendan Shanahan caught so much flack for his soft, inexplicable non-suspension of Shea Weber, that I was worried he would overcompensate and hammer Andrew Shaw far worse than deserved.
Martin Hanzal scored 9:29 into overtime and the Phoenix Coyotes opened the playoffs with a 3-2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday night.
The Blackhawks lost their eighth straight overall — their longest skid since the 2007-08 season — and 10th in a row on the road. Chicago’s last win came with a 3-1 victory over Florida on Jan. 20.
A couple from New Lenox are lucky to have their dogs, after the animals were attacked by coyotes.
Chicago Animal Care and Control is trying to track down three coyotes that surrounded a woman and her two dogs in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.
A Lincoln Park neighborhood woman says she is fearful for people walking their dogs on the North Side after a very close encounter with a pack of coyotes Tuesday morning.
Radim Vrbata and Oliver Ekman-Larsson scored in the shootout, and Mike Smith stopped Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa in the tiebreaker to lead the Phoenix Coyotes to a wild 4-3 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday night.
Following a string of recent sightings in residential neighborhoods in Aurora, animal control experts say if you see a coyote, don’t run.
- 3 Dead, 8 Hurt In Shootings Since Friday NightThe most recent fatal shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Saturday in the Hyde Park community, roughly half a mile from President Barack Obama’s home in neighboring Kenwood.108
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!