Chicago Public Schools officials have offered lunchroom workers severance packages to get them to vacate their jobs, and help the district close its estimated $1 billion budget deficit.
The House Republicans’ plan would create a new tax credit for families who earn less than $150,000 a year and send their kids to accredited Illinois schools, as well as a new tax deduction for using college savings programs.
Illinois House Republican Leader Tom Cross said Wednesday that he believes there’s an ulterior motive behind the ongoing pension reform standoff between House Speaker Michael Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton.
After meeting with Gov. Pat Quinn for more than an hour and a half, House Speaker Michael Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton seemed friendly, but not much closer to resolving their differences over pension reform.
Aldermen are expected to give final approval later this week to a $156,000 settlement in the case of two brothers beaten by Chicago police officers when the young men were mistaken for a pair of robbers as they left the liquor store where they work.
On the eve of a Board of Education vote, and amid some vociferous opposition from teachers and some parents and students, Mayor Rahm Emanuel was standing by his plan to close more than 50 Chicago public schools.
The pilot program is seeking employers willing to hire workers who have been retrained and redirected.
The deadly Boston Marathon bombings have prompted a lot of discussion about the price of having a free society, and how much freedom Americans might have to give up to stay safe.
The city’s Inspector General said Tuesday that an audit of the red light camera program cannot back up City Hall claims that the cameras have been placed at Chicago’s most dangerous intersections.
The Emanuel administration has committed $750,000 in leftover NATO Summit funds to offer more nighttime events at city parks this summer.
Hundreds of nursing home staff members and others rallied outside the Thompson Center on Monday, trying to fend off new cuts for medical services.
“Water quality makes a tremendous difference in how we can interact with the river, but also provides us jobs; it provides us business revenue,” said Friends of the Chicago River executive director Margaret Frisbie.
For the first time since taking ownership of the Cubs in 2009, Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts said he will move the Cubs within four years if his proposed Wrigley Field restoration plans were not approved by the city.
Housing advocates have thrown their support behind an ordinance introduced to the Chicago City Council, saying it could help renters and keep neighborhoods safer.
Some members of the City Council’s Progressive Reform Caucus want to give the city’s Inspector General increased powers; perhaps more authority than Mayor Rahm Emanuel would want him to have.
The Coca-Cola Company has stepped forward to pay for 50,000 blue carts for the city’s curbside recycling program, even though the city had essentially raised the money for them already.
As the plan to close more than 50 Chicago Public Schools moves forward, the head of the Chicago Teachers Union said she has numerous examples of what can go wrong, and has gone wrong with previous school closings and consolidations.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel said, by failing to pass expanded background checks for gun sales, Congress has let politics has get in the way of what should be elected officials’ first priority: protecting the public.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel refused to comment Wednesday on reports a possible suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been identified and an arrest is imminent, but he is talking about how surveillance cameras aided the investigation.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel seemed unfazed Tuesday by word that the Chicago Teachers Union plans to work to oust him from office in the next city election.
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!