Well, it’s just about time to hang the bike up and bust out the thick coats. You don’t have to cram into the morning CTA sardine can yet, but now’s as good a time as any to figure out what you’ll be reading in lieu of dodging cars on State Street. Because we’re so prepared, we’ve found a couple of books that have come out, a couple of comics that have been collected, and even a poetry collection or two to whet your word appetite. Enjoy these homemade tales of life, love, and horse-related spam-bots as a means of distracting yourself from your fellow transit-riders’ armpits!
Put the board shorts down, son. There’s nothing more we can do for them. Flip the collar back down, pull the deep V-neck back up, and bid Sunshine City goodbye for now. Of course, we’re not in Sweater Vest Village yet. There’s a brief detour in Playa del Plaid! But seriously, let’s get you some weather appropriate clothes before the neighbors start to stare.
Okay, okay, easy there hoss. We know you’re still clinging to summer with a vice-like grip, but we just wanted to hint – to give the barest suggestion – that some delicious little seasonal food-treats are on their way. And maybe these treats are called pumpkins…
What do you get the guy or gal whose birthday you’re attending that you barely know? A gift card? Too aunt-y. Socks? What are you, a creep? What you need is a trinket, my dear — holiday tchotchkes, everyday baubles, and birthday bric-a-brac. The following are some of Chicago’s fine purveyors of them.
What does August have in store for us? Read about the best events happening in Chicago right here!
Good gravy. It is still so stupid hot. Even if it’s not triple digits, this is still gross. My shirt is holding onto every inch of my back. Walking is hard. Biking makes me feel and smell like a surly viking. THIS MUST STOP. Let’s go cool off and remember that we live in an age where for the low, low cost of our children’s future with an ozone layer, we can be cold right now – YEAH! Besides, they’ll probably invent totally green-recyclable-organic A/C units that make the rainforest glow with Gaia’s energy. We deserve to be cold, and the kids will fix it! DOUBLE YEAH!
For whatever reason, tonight’s date is going to be car-less. And that’s okay! If you’re up for a little transit of the public manner, you can reach all sorts of destinations in the city. In fact, we’ve laid out a date where you can hit stops all over the city, and barely walk farther than you would to find the nameless one-way street you left your car on during the last date.
Having been running music festivals since 2005 (R.I.P. Intonation Festival!), Pitchfork is a saavy crew of promoters at this point. No longer the minor league for Lolla, the fests now regularly trade headliners (Hot Chip and Feist have both played Lolla previously; Vampire Weekend are pulling off the rare Pitchfork-Lolla-Pitchfork appearance) and the audience might be less 20-something face-painted scenesters and more 30-year-olds with blankets. But audience-schmaudience! Let’s talk about the entertainment.
Honestly, we’re not sure why it took us so long to realize there should be a movie playing outside in a park every day of the summer. You go to the beach, you play some sports, maybe you just grill all day and do cannonballs in the pool, but then you want to gather up and watch a good-timey movie with the gang. We’ve rounded up some of our own favorite Movies in the Parks below!
All bands have to have their first show somewhere. That venue will probably be a living room, a basement, or a “co-operative event space/art incubator/creativity collective,” which is really just to say some industrial-sized living room. And these venues are fine and dandy and a lot of fun! But should you tire of playing The Spork Fort and Loveship Factory, there are real-life, honest to God licensed venues out there…
If you hadn’t noticed, summer has completely and totally arrived to the third coast. And spoiled kids that we are, the city is yet again throwing us a series of free Monday concerts downtown at the magical picnic-place marvel that is the hairnet, er, Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Cut out of work early, bring your good flask and your bad wine, and set up a picnic blanket for this summer’s fine lineup.
Many Americans deserve recognition. Here are some of our fellow citizens who keep us entertained and informed.
The cute little crannie of the Northside is mostly known for its yearly descent into Oktoberfest madness, but break free from those beer tent walls! (Metaphorically. The last guy who really did that got the tent rental company really mad.) Here’s our little journey down the lovely strip of Lincoln that neither hipster scum nor worthless yuppies have been able to sink their claws into. Hurry before they find it!
Tipplers, sots, souses, and dipsomaniacs of the city: your time has come. Chicago Craft Beer Week is here, let’s enjoy it to the max!
With summer fast approaching, we’ve rounded up the most promising blockbuster movies of the season. Get your popcorn ready.
It’s hard enough to raise a kid these days. Check out these movie moms who also manage to save the world.
The false spring has come and gone, and now we just have to slug through the last month of the real one. Bump up the windbreaker to a medium jacket, wear the thinnest hat, and go attend a couple fine shows and events before June finally arrives and we can shed the extra layers and commence to three months of picnic blankets. You’re so close…
So you’ve got a friend, or a loved one, or a dining companion of any kind that has a thing for eatin’ animals. And you, you enlightened political activist or health-conscious lovely creature, you probably want to avoid watching said companion consume parts of an animal while you converse or cavort. But man… it’s a bummer trying to inflict vegetarian dining on someone. So why not just do it covertly? We’ve picked out five places that shouldn’t set off major meatless alarms…
So you’re a bar expert. You know all the best local dives. You’ve written the name of the cutest bartender with little hearts over the eyes. You probably even know the best place to go for a good Malort cocktail. Congrats on all that. Now let’s focus on something a little more important, shall we? Feng Shui. Atmosphere. A vibe, man. What bars have the right stuff? Here’s a list…
Hollywood doesn’t have the best environmental track record. Check out the most environmentally unfriendly movies.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!