Chicago Board of Education President David Vitale said Monday morning it’s “unconscionable” that Chicago Public Schools students are being kept out of class for a 6th day, due to the teachers’ strike, despite a tentative agreement between negotiators for CPS and the Chicago Teachers Union.
Negotiators working to end the five-day Chicago teachers’ strike say they have a “framework” for a contract and expect school to resume on Monday.
Classes were canceled for a fifth straight day at Chicago public schools as the Board of Education and the Chicago Teachers Union reportedly moved closer to a contract deal that would end a walkout by instructors.
For the first time since the Chicago teachers’ strike started on Monday, both Chicago Public Schools officials and the Chicago Teachers Union were on the same page about the progress of contract talks, saying Wednesday’s meeting was a productive one.
Chicago School Board President David Vitale says the board has issued more than 20 proposals in an effort to end the teachers’ strike, and he wants to see children back in school by Wednesday.
The Chicago teachers’ strike will head into its third day on Wednesday, after the latest round of talks ended Tuesday night without a deal to bring teachers back to work, and the head of the Chicago Teachers Union describing the two sides as “kilometers apart.”
Chicago Public Schools teachers went on strike for the fist time in a quarter century on Monday, after the latest contract talks broke down Sunday with no deal to avert a walkout.
Chicago Public Schools officials and teachers continued contract negotiations Sunday morning, in talks union officials described as “intense,” with a midnight deadline looming for a teachers’ strike.
Negotiations between teachers and the Chicago Public Schools were to resume at noon Saturday, in hopes of averting a Chicago teachers’ strike that could begin next week.
The Chicago Board of Education and the Chicago Teachers Union have both unanimously rejected an independent arbitrator’s suggestions on how to end the contract stalemate with public school teachers.
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 6 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 6 hours ago