A 64-year-old man who was freed from prison last year, after prosecutors dropped charges in a 1982 double murder case, has filed a $40 million lawsuit against Northwestern University, accusing a former professor and his team of railroading him into a false confession.
Psychiatrists on both sides of the case have determined David McCarthy gave a false confession when he said he was the one behind the wheel when 20-year-old Melissa Lech was struck and killed as she was walking down a street in Joliet on Aug. 7, 2008.
A Hazel Crest man is claiming he was forced in to signing a false confession for a 1992 double murder, of which he was later exonerated after spending 20 years in prison.
The City Council on Wednesday agreed to shell out $10 million to compensate a man who spent 25 years in prison for a double murder he did not commit after being beaten into confessing by convicted former police Cmdr. Jon Burge and his crew at Area 2.
An 80-year-old man pardoned for a rape he says he didn’t commit finally feels vindicated after settling his lawsuit against the city.
A Chicago man freed from prison last March after 25 years has filed a federal lawsuit against the city and the man he says tortured him into a false confession: former Police Cmdr. Jon Burge.
Wrongly jailed murder defendant Jerry Hobbs said investigators coerced him to confess to the 2005 murders of his young daughter Laura and her friend Krystal Tobias.