It has taken years to reach this point, but the combination of medicine, awareness, tragedy and marketing sense has pushed hockey to the brink of real culture change.
Weeks after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said there was a possibility Chicago could host a Super Bowl, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the city is being considered to host an NHL All-Star Game.
The NHL approved a radical realignment plan Monday that will have a wide sweeping impact on both the regular season and playoffs.
Gary Bettman believes the NHL will adopt a more balanced schedule when the relocated Winnipeg franchise likely moves to the Western Conference in 2012.
In a press conference on Tuesday morning True North Sports and Entertainment announced that they have have purchased the Atlanta Thrashers organization and plan to move the team to Winnipeg for this upcoming NHL season.
It may be weeks before authorities know exactly how and why New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard died, although foul play is not immediately suspected.
The NHL just signed a new 10-year TV deal worth $2 billion. To show his appreciation for all those who made it possible, Commissioner Gary Bettman instructed club officials to share the news with concussed players by holding up two fingers in front of their faces.
In what Commissioner Gary Bettman is calling the most significant deal in league history, the NHL agreed to a contract that will keep them on NBC and Versus for the next 10 years.
Accoridng to Montreal Canadiens fan, he and Chicago Blackhawks’ goalie Marty Turco had a friendly $5 bet riding on Tuesday night’s game.
After a couple days of double-talk and phony-baloney posturing to mollify fans and sponsors, the decision-makers at the NHL’s GM meetings refused to ban the hits to the head that are causing a frightening number of concussions.
In the March 9 game agaisnt the Tampa By Lightning, Chicago Blackhawks’ center Dave Bolland took an elbow to the head and has missed every game since, with what is suspected to be a concussion.
When the Chicago Blackhawks travel to Washington to play the Capitals they’ll also make a trip by the White House to meet with President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, according to the Chicago Tribune.
A week ago, the Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Islanders took the ice in a fight-filled game. Mario Lemieux bashed the NHL for the way it handled the excessive fights. The commissioner would rather let it go than debate over the discipline.
The NFL season’s theme seemed to be concussions. The focus looks to be turning toward the NHL’s concussions now. Concussions are on the rise in the NHL and it’s not because of illegal hits to the head.
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Weekend Death Toll Rises To 8 After Two Men Die Of Gunshot InjuriesTwo men critically wounded in weekend shootings died Monday, raising the death toll for 2013’s most violent weekend to eight. At least 39 other people were wounded in shootings across the city, authorities said.163
- Mystery Substance Prompts Closure Of Indiana BeachSwimmers have been ordered out of Lake Michigan at Porter Beach because of a substance in the water. WBBM's Nancy Harty has more.6566
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!