Listen, I won’t be talking about bars that will keep you up-to-date with the poll statistics as you slowly sip on a glass of pinot WHO-THE-HECK-CARES (a nice vintage wine). The bars below are bars you can go to and drink so much you’ll forget that there are elections or, heck, even presidents. If you were looking for a place you could talk politics with the other patrons, then leave now. This is not the article for you. If you feel like you need a place to hide, then I know a few spots for you…
Let me be the first to say it: I miss winter. The thing about winter, is that it’s an easy excuse to stay in. That’s extraordinarily important for those of us who are socially inept mutants. Your excuses of snow and cold and wild wampas waiting to kill you and drag you back to their cave like that one scene in The Empire Strikes Back can’t be used anymore. You have to go outside again. And, if you gotta go out, you might as well have fun. Here are some events for April that will help you in that endeavor…
Hungry Brain is a Roscoe Village bar that’s a dive, but in the good kind of way, inviting to everyone and anyone. Take a look at what The Bartender has to say about the place and its customers. Find out why you might want to check it out.
In Chicago, home of the first poetry slam, stories and words are full contact affairs. They’re all out brawls and dirt under your fingernails.
What constitutes a dive these days? Cheap prices? Whatever the formula is, these dives and diners have a selective charm that many have found and loved.
- Weekend Death Toll Rises To 8 After Two Men Die Of Gunshot InjuriesTwo men critically wounded in weekend shootings died Monday, raising the death toll for 2013’s most violent weekend to eight. At least 39 other people were wounded in shootings across the city, authorities said.163
- Mystery Substance Prompts Closure Of Indiana BeachSwimmers have been ordered out of Lake Michigan at Porter Beach because of a substance in the water. WBBM's Nancy Harty has more.216
- Man Dies After His Head Is Impaled On Fence During FightA man was murdered Sunday night by someone who struck him in the head, causing him to become impaled on a wrought iron fence in the South Side Burnside neighborhood.319
- Indiana Woman Who Received Death Sentence At 16 Released From PrisonThe first taste of freedom in 27 years, that's what a 43-year-old woman from Gary, Indiana is enjoying tonight, after going to prison for murder. Roseanne Tellez reports, she has an unlikely supporter as she starts her new life: her victim's grandson.263
- Chief Keef Pleads Guilty To Speeding, Faces Second Paternity SuitChicago rapper Chief Keef was served Monday in a second paternity lawsuit as he appeared in a Cook County courtroom to plead guilty to a speeding violation, the Sun-Times is reporting.257
- Four Contract E Coli After Eating At Lombard RestaurantFour people contracted E. coli after eating at a west suburban restaurant, which has since been closed, DuPage County health officials said.322
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!