Illinois moved a step closer Tuesday to becoming the next state to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses after House lawmakers approved a bill requiring one-year proof of state residency, form of identification and a photograph.
A proposal to issue driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants received House committee approval Monday, despite concerns by both Democrats and Republicans whether it goes far enough to prevent fraud.
It’s a hot button issue: should undocumented immigrants be allowed to get driver’s licenses? Even leaders in Chicago’s Latino community are divided on a measure that would grant undocumented immigrants temporary licenses.
A plan that would allow illegal immigrants in Illinois to get driver’s licenses cleared another hurdle Tuesday, with the state Senate approving the measure hours after Republican leaders in the General Assembly offered their support and said they’ve been working with Democrats on the issue for years.
The Senate Executive Committee voted 12-2 to advance the plan.
Supporters of a plan to let illegal immigrants get Illinois drivers’ licenses hope last week’s election results will finally make it happen.
The Chicago City Council has given final approval to an ordinance protecting undocumented immigrants from being unfairly detained or deported.
The possibility of a federal detention center being built in south suburban Crete is off the table.
The NATO delegates haven’t arrived in Chicago for the weekend’s summit yet, but the protesters have already been busy for two days, and at least 12 protesters have been arrested in that time.
Opponents are ramping up their campaign against a proposed detention center for illegal immigrants to be built in south suburban Crete.
Dozens of illegal immigrants who had been convicted of serious crimes – or were otherwise considered fugitives or threats to national security – have been arrested in the Chicago area as part of a nationwide sweep that captured approximately 3,100 immigrants.
Opponents of a proposed immigration detention center in far south suburban Crete were out in force Sunday, in the final day of a 48-hour opposition walk.
Members of a small Little Village neighborhood church are hoping civil libertarians will join them for a three-day march to protest a new immigration detention center planned for far south suburban Crete.
There are some sharp lines drawn in south suburban Crete, where a private prison corporation plans to build a detention facility for the immigration service.
Expect heated debate on immigration issues at a Cook County Board hearing Thursday morning.
Cook County commissioners voted Wednesday to hold a hearing on the contentious issue of whether to keep suspected illegal immigrants behind bars while federal authorities check their immigration status.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle lashed out Thursday at critics of a county ordinance that some have blamed for allowing an illegal immigrant to flee the country after he was released on bond in a fatal drunk driving case.
Immigrant rights activists won a victory in Cook County Wednesday, as the County Board agreed to free illegal immigrants being held on lesser charges.
Two months after the Illinois DREAM Act passed the General Assembly, Gov. Pat Quinn is expected to sign it into law Monday.
The state Senate has passed the DREAM Act, which would put those young people within reach of such programs as College Illinois, allowing them to save for their higher education.
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Toddler Reunited With ParentsPolice on Sunday were looking for the parents or guardians of a little boy who was found in the West Side Douglas Park neighborhood.233
- A Dozen Illinoisans Come Within One Number Of $600M Powerball JackpotOne number in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing was the difference for a dozen Illinois players between being $10,000 richer and living the life of a multi-millionaire.404
- 12 Arrested After Youth ‘Flash Mobs’ Erupt On Michigan AvenueOne adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Saturday night after police responded to groups of teens running through traffic around North Michigan Avenue on the Gold Coast.410
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!