Army Pfc. Omar Torres gave his life for his country in Iraq, and on Tuesday, the city honored his sacrifice and service by naming a street near his Archer Heights home in his memory.
A daylong memorial for the 6,600 Americans killed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was scheduled for 9:11 a.m. Friday at the plaza outside the Thompson Center.
When the deal is being made to change the tax rates and cut the deficit we must remember to keep our commitment to our veterans.
Romney won this debate in more ways than one – most impressively due to his dignified style.
The story of the returning veteran never ends. A researcher in Peoria is investigating Gulf War Syndrome, more than twenty years after the end of Operation Desert Storm.
Coming home is a process for some who have seen war, CBS 2′s Brad Edwards reports.
College students from Chicago helped an Iraq War veteran who lives downstate by redesigning his home’s interior. CBS 2′s Rob Johnson explains.
A local U.S. veteran of the Middle East conflicts says an American soldier’s alleged massacre of more than a dozen Afghan villagers shouldn’t overshadow efforts to help people there. CBS 2′s Kristyn Hartman reports.
A community’s love was felt on Monday as a hometown soldier returned home from war. With the war in Iraq now a completed mission, thousands of soldiers are returning home and the relief of having their son back with them is the best of Christmas presents for the Rundquist family in Streamwood.
The 6-year-old daughter of a Chicago soldier deployed in Afghanistan had been asking Santa to bring her daddy home for the holiday. As CBS 2′s Derrick Blakley reports, her wish became reality.
A U.S. Army veteran who had recently returned from the war in Iraq when he killed his wife in their southwest suburban home has been sentenced to 17 years in prison, Sun-Times Media is reporting.
Hundreds of people turned out Sunday for an Honor Ride and Run in Barrington to support military veterans.
Just over 24 hours after President Barack Obama announced that one of America’s longest wars was coming to a close, a young man who served in that conflict was back home in the Chicago area on Saturday.
Big crowds turned out Monday in Winnetka to say thanks to Navy Cmdr Dan Adams, who served eight months in Iraq as a pilot. CBS 2′s Pamela Jones reports.
Services will be held later this week for a southwest suburban soldier who was killed in Iraq last week.
Pfc. Michael Olivieri of south suburban Homer Glen is remembered as a dedicated soldier and husband who was preparing to celebrate his first wedding anniversary.
It’s been said that the death of Osama bin Laden came from the collective sacrifice of tens of thousands of Americans serving in the military and their families. The story of those sacrifices has been especially emotional on Mother’s Day.
George W. Bush recounted the mistakes of his presidency on Oprah Winfrey’s talk show as he launched a book tour to promote his just-released memoir “Decision Points.”
- The List: Chicago Schools To Be ClosedThe Chicago School Board voted to close 49 underutilized or underperforming elementary schools on Wednesday as part of a plan to close a $1 billion budget deficit.492
- Board Votes To Close 49 Chicago Elementary SchoolsThe Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to close 49 elementary schools, in what is believed to be the biggest single mass shutdown of schools in U.S. history.4834
- Lockdown Lifted At Morton West High SchoolMorton West High School has been placed on lock down for precautionary reasons after an unknown individual entered the building.558
- Former Glenbard East Student Accused Of Planning Columbine-Type AttackA 19-year-old former student at Glenbard East High School in Lombard was in custody on Wednesday, accused of planning a "Columbine-style" attack on the school, with a list of people he wanted to target.561
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!