Old-school establishments are some of my favorite city nightspots. While I’m no stranger to many of the newer bars lining Chicago streets, it’s the atmosphere of the city’s older watering holes that piques my interest. Before you belly up to the local bar, take a peek at what’s on tap at several longstanding Chicago bars.
Tom Schleiter knows a thing or two about Chicago’s music scene. The 25-year-old, who lives in Logan Square, is a professional songwriter and music producer. He got his foot in the industry while at Miami University studying sound recording. Bad City was his second band, which signed with Atlantic Records, made a record with Chicago producer Johnny K, and toured with Smashing Pumpkins, Slash, and KISS…
When a friend asked me if I wanted to play a “real-life” version of Clue, I jumped at the chance. A dinner party that combines the board-game-setting with being a real-life sleuth sounded like a great solution for this grown up gamer.
You can smell the smoker used at Barn & Company, a BBQ bar, a block away. The atmosphere is overwhelmingly fun! The layout is as big as a barn, the lighting is warehouse-bright, and the wood walls are adorned with pigs…
One reason I love Chicago so much is that a night out means endless possibilities. From doughnut shops to wine bars and comedy venues, I make a point to try as many spots as I can, while still watching my wallet. Take a look at my quest to hit the streets for good food and fun for under $30!
The task was tough, which made it all the more fun. My mission to create an outfit for under $40 had me scouring the inventory at several of my favorite shops. This outfit excursion challenged my ability to locate cute clothes on a reeeeally tight budget. I skipped the accessories and went straight to the basics. I’ve wrangled up a three-piece collection.
Laura Tanner Swinand discovered her love for making jewelry as a teenager. Now, Laura Tanner Jewelry (LTJ) is located just outside Chicago. I asked the designer several questions about what’s in for the season, tips for a few classic pieces to pair with any outfit, and more!
Since the season of gift giving is here, take a look at some of the year’s top buys that drew in the shoppers, me included.
I’m hooked on BYOBs. I’ll trade a $9 glass of wine for an $8 bottle any day. What an ingenious idea, and it’s even better when you nix the corkage fees. These locales offer a twist on the bring-your-own-booze concept. Check them out!
‘Tis the season of holiday parties. As excited as I am to sip cocktails and devour appetizers, I’m even more wound-up about getting dolled up. Here are some ideas on what (and what not) to wear to your holiday office party.
here’s comfort in frequenting a bar that you already know you like. You can find me a couple blocks from my apartment, perched at a highboy by the window, pint in hand with my friends. But there comes a time to break the monotony and shake things up. I like these five bars for five very different reasons. Check them out and find a new place to call your own!
There’s no diggin’ for reasons to visit Wells on Wells. The neighborhood bar is just seven years old and has become a cornerstone on Old Town’s bustling Wells Street. The bar succeeds for many reasons, and one is it’s a family-run business…
Belts! An accessory that should last and last and last. Find out which belts are in style this season…
If you’re looking to add some entertainment to your nightlife read about Jellies and a few of Chicago’s other upcoming options!
Here’s a look at four great finds if you’re a fall wedding guest.
How to find a great skirt, and then build off of it! Skirt trends for the summer, what are yours?
I can’t help the occasional (cough) shopping spree. Just the word “shopping” rouses energy. And when summer arrives, so do my out-of-town guests. As my friends and family trek themselves to Chicago for a visit, the agenda naturally includes… shopping.
Are you a workout fanatic? Check out this go-to gear, great for when you sweat, that’ll make you look good too.
Six years ago I moved to the city. My cousin Carol moved here at the same time, and we ventured out together every Friday night to a restaurant we’d never been to before. At the time, that included pretty much every one in the city. Bellies full and cocktails in hand, we sat and laughed, enjoying the experience of trying something new. Here are five of the latest bars to check out.
Just head East this summer. Chicago’s 33—yes 33!—beaches span the Lakefront and offer an urban retreat for those looking to unwind in the sun. Part of your beach-bound fun is the style you sport – straw, stripes, and puka shells included! Start simple and build on a classic bikini with eclectic accessories.
- Man Charged With Sex Trafficking For Second Time In Cook CountyA man previously convicted of sex trafficking in Cook County has been charged again, this time for allegedly kidnapping a Minnesota woman and bringing her to Chicago to work in the sex trade.201
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!