Third time’s the charm for the Waukegan Public Library. It’s been given the nation’s highest award for libraries and museums.
As the Chicago Public Schools prepares to announce its final list of schools that will be closed or consolidated at the end of the school year, district officials were promising investments for schools that receive affected students.
Poem the News is exactly what it sounds like: reader-submitted poems based on CBS news stories. Submit your own?
I’m going to be honest, and I never thought I’d say this, but the Moon is really worried about your sperm count, Aries. Why does the Moon worry about your sperm count? I don’t know, bro. I just look at the alignment and communicate what it tells me, and right now the alignment of the Moon (and Harvard researchers) has some very foreboding things to say about your sperm.
The city told them in May it was privatizing their jobs, but the workers say they were hoping to keep working.
Former Gov. Rod Blagojevich has headed from the kitchen to the library at the federal prison in suburban Denver, as he continues his 14-year sentence for corruption charges.
The donated book was Robert Stone’s novel “Outerbridge Reach.” But it was really just a holding place for a gold A.S.M. .31-caliber, a single-shot black powder handgun with a wooden handle.
A limited edition copy of Oscar Wilde’s “Picture of Dorian Gray” has returned to the Chicago Public Library during an amnesty that forgives fines.
Mayor Emanuel said libraries would be open full days Monday, beginning in with the fall school year, as a result of new staffing strategies devised by his new library commissioner.
For at least the third time in a week, thieves have targeted large air conditioning units in the south suburbs.
A public library in Robbins and a school in nearby Blue Island have been hit by air-conditioner thieves.
A deal between the Chicago public library’s union and city leaders might lead Mayor Emanuel to rescind the newly announced plan to start closing most libraries all day on Mondays.
A veteran Joliet police officer went into a library Wednesday and quickly found a suspect in the sexual assault of a 68-year-old woman.
“We’re a library that’s read/write, instead of read-only,” Taylor explained to me over the sounds of an accordion playing on coffee shop speakers. “You can actually come in and add something you’ve written to Chicago history.”
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is proposing using Tax Increment Financing funds to build a new library in the Albany Park neighborhood and a parking lot for a school in Bronzeville.
Mayor Emanuel has said the old days of clout-heavy contracts are over at City Hall, but he declined to slam his predecessor as the two appeared together Thursday at a library dedication.
Pilsen parents who once staged a 43-day sit-in to get a library at Whittier Elementary School now have succeeded in getting the project halted.
Parents sitting in at the Whittier Elementary School fieldhouse let a construction deadline come and go Tuesday.
The sit-in by parents at Whittier Elementary School in Pilsen will continue, even though it will mean no library will be built for students for the coming school year.
Chicago Public Library officials say—after a long wait—people who use the Kindle e-reader will soon be able to borrow library books too.
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Toddler Reunited With ParentsPolice on Sunday were looking for the parents or guardians of a little boy who was found in the West Side Douglas Park neighborhood.233
- A Dozen Illinoisans Come Within One Number Of $600M Powerball JackpotOne number in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing was the difference for a dozen Illinois players between being $10,000 richer and living the life of a multi-millionaire.403
- 12 Arrested After Youth ‘Flash Mobs’ Erupt On Michigan AvenueOne adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Saturday night after police responded to groups of teens running through traffic around North Michigan Avenue on the Gold Coast.410
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!