This sequel to director J.J. Abrams 2009 reboot is part homage, part thrill ride, and part morality play. It’s much like the best episodes of the TV series that inspired it, only with much much better special effects.
This latest version of “The Great Gatsby” isn’t weighted down by its status as “The Great American Novel.” Instead, director Baz Luhrmann seems inspired by it.
Iron Man 3 is both a step up and a step down from the now much maligned (however unfairly) Iron Man 2.
“Pain And Gain” is an aggressive, unrepentantly block-headed black hole of a movie that sucks all intelligence and talent into its vortex leaving only a vacuum of stupidity behind. I felt like I was a little dumber just for having spent two hours in its presence.
“Oblivion” is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller with a few tricks up its sleeve. Unfortunately those tricks have all been stolen from other much better movies.
“Olympus Has Fallen” would have to get a lot smarter just to be charitably called dumb. It is in fact one of the mind numbingly inane movies of the year, and this year that’s really saying something.
“Oz The Great And Powerful” isn’t in the same category as the timeless “Wizard Of Oz,” (what is?), but it’s a reasonably entertaining reinterpretation of the classic tale if you can take it on its own terms.
“Jack The Giant Slayer” seems destined to be the Hollywood blockbuster that nobody really likes.
The ensemble action flick “Gangster Squad” has quite a cast going for it, but little brains behind it, CBS 2′s Michael Walters says.
Parental Guidance Rated PG Grade D+ BY MICHAEL WALTERS CANTANKEROUS CRITIC The best thing that can be said for “Parental Guidance” is that it’s not quite as awful as it appears. In his years […]
Hugh Jackman, the multi-talented actor known for playing Wolverine in the “X-Men” movies, knocks it out of the park in “Les Miserables.” The rest of the cast, not so much, says CBS 2′s Michael Walters.
It may be a little overstuffed, but director Peter Jackson lovingly revisits the Middle Earth he created for the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, film critic Michael Walters says.
“The Life Of Pi” is a feast for the eyes, with mush for brains. Based on a bestselling book, the story of a teenage boy and his Bengal tiger lost at sea isn’t the most obvious candidate for a holiday blockbuster, much less one in 3-D.
CBS 2′s Michael Walters says the final installment in the mega-successful “Twilight” franchise pretty much sucks.
“Wreck-It-Ralph” is a sort of 8-bit “Toy Story,” populated by characters from classic video games, and is sure to warm the hearts of parents who spent too much time with the Nintendo as a child.
CBS 2′s Michael Walters is mostly up on “Flight,” thanks to the usual strong effort by Denzel Washington as a self-sabotaging airline pilot.
CBS 2′s Michael Walters is impressed with “Argo,” Ben Affleck’s movie about a daring, seemingly improbable rescue during the Iran hostage crisis.
The “Cantankerous Critic” reviews “Frankenweenie”
“Hotel Transylvania” should be condemned. It’s a frightfully unfunny animated monstrosity that treats laughs as though they were garlic coated silver bullets.
“The Possession” Rated: PG-13 Grade: D “The Possession” tries to pass itself off as a Jewish “Exorcist,” but all it is is a second rate Exorcist rip-off in payot. This time the sweet innocent girl […]
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Toddler Reunited With ParentsPolice on Sunday were looking for the parents or guardians of a little boy who was found in the West Side Douglas Park neighborhood.233
- A Dozen Illinoisans Come Within One Number Of $600M Powerball JackpotOne number in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing was the difference for a dozen Illinois players between being $10,000 richer and living the life of a multi-millionaire.404
- 12 Arrested After Youth ‘Flash Mobs’ Erupt On Michigan AvenueOne adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Saturday night after police responded to groups of teens running through traffic around North Michigan Avenue on the Gold Coast.410
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!