Zachary Fardon was on the team of federal prosecutors who secured convictions against former Illinois Republican Gov. George Ryan in 2006. In that case and in others, Fardon gained a reputation as an adept, quick-witted cross-examiner.
A pair of former federal prosecutors will be re-trying a 2,400-year-old case, and they won’t just be trying to convict one of the world’s most beloved philosophers, but they’ll be going up against two prominent Chicago attorneys.
U.S. Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) have sent the White House a list of four finalists to replace former U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald, who stepped down in June, after nearly 11 years as Chicago’s top federal prosecutor.
Robert Grant, special agent-in-charge, will step down Sept. 3. He’s taking a job with the Walt Disney Corporation.
U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald has reached last day in office, and he is going out in much the same way he has served.
Veteran federal prosecutor Gary S. Shaprio will take over as acting U.S. Attorney when Patrick Fitzgerald steps down at the end of the month.
Robert Blagojevich, who was caught up in the federal investigation that saw his brother Rod Blagojevich sent to prison for 14 years, said U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald’s decision to resign was a good day for justice, claiming Fitzgerald overreached and was unfairly allowed to gather unchecked power.
U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald, who is stepping down from his post after nearly 11 years next month, said Thursday that he felt “blessed” to have served as the top prosecutor in northern Illinois.
U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald announced Wednesday that he will be stepping down at the end of next month.
A state lawmaker from the West Side was arrested on bribery charges on Tuesday.
CBS 2′s Walter Jacobson wonder’s if Bill Beavers was serious when the indicted county official said federal prosecutors wanted him to wear a wire to nab John Daley, the former mayor’s brother.
Cook County Commissioner William Beavers was indicted Thursday on allegations he failed to pay income taxes on tens of thousands of dollars of campaign cash that he used for personal reasons, but he claimed the feds targeted him because he refused to wear a wire targeting fellow Commissioner John Daley.
Federal prosecutors are digging for data about convicted former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s potential pension income in advance of his sentencing on corruption charges, even though Illinois officials plan to block the disgraced Democrat from getting any state retirement pay.
If, as Blagojevich says, the U.S. Attorney has tapes that could save him from conviction and many years in prison, why not let the jury hear them? Walter Jacobson has an idea of the answer.
U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) says U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald is needed in Chicago, rather than in Washington running the FBI.
U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald may be in for a major promotion.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!