Strike Authorization Vote
By a margin of 97 percent in favor, the Local Educators Association of District 300 — the teachers union in Carpentersville — ratified a resolution Sunday to authorize a strike.
The city of Chicago is not the only municipality where a teacher strike is looming.
Chicago teachers aren’t the only ones threatening to strike; United Airlines pilots could soon be walking picket lines.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel says the Chicago Teachers Union vote to authorize a strike is a “huge number,” but he says he wants to focus on improving schools, and what an independent arbitrator might do to avoid a strike.
More than 90 percent of teachers in the Chicago Public Schools voted to authorize a strike this week, in a move that the Chicago Teachers Union believes will provide a leg up in negotiations starting next month.
Chicago teachers have voted to authorize a strike, setting the stage for intense contract negotiations to avoid a possible walkout in the fall.
The city could soon know whether Chicago Public Schools teachers are going to authorize a strike, but the teachers are already crying foul.
Chicago Public Schools teachers began voting today on whether to authorize a strike.
Tomorrow will be a big day in Chicago. The teachers in our public schools will vote tomorrow on whether to authorize a strike.
Chicago Teachers Union president Karen Lewis met with more than 200 teachers and other union members this morning at Lane Tech High School, one day before the union takes a strike authorization vote.
Chicago Public Schools chief executive officer Jean-Claude Brizard says he wants teachers to have a raise, and is asking the Chicago Teachers Union to hold off on its strike authorization vote set for this coming Wednesday.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!