And this deeper dilemma affecting U. of I. athletics is so discouraging that after reading this column, you very well may be driven to drink yourself.
Illinois had been waiting almost three weeks for injured quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase to play again.
Reilly O’Toole threw for 333 yards and five touchdowns and receiver Ryan Lankford had 97 yards and two scores to lead Illinois to a 44-0 win Saturday over Charleston Southern.
When it comes to Illinois football, I’m not hitting the panic button just yet – even though the Illini themselves apparently were this past Saturday night.
Illinois missed starting quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase, to be sure. But he doesn’t play defense, and that was the area where the Illini struggled mightily against Arizona State.
Zook, who was fired last year after seven seasons in Champaign, left the Illinois football program in far better shape than he found it.
While Big Ten training camps are underway, Adam Hoge will devote an entire day to each of the 12 teams in the conference.
Penn State offensive tackle Ryan Nowicki will transfer to Illinois. The 6-5, 280 pound lineman is a redshirt freshman with four years of eligibility remaining. He will be eligible to play immediately.
At Big Ten Media Days this week, much discussion swirled around the controversial topic of recruiting current Penn State players, who were who were essentially declared “free agents” by NCAA president Mark Emmert as part of PSU’s sweeping sanctions.
Plenty of critics surfaced in the wake of Illinois head coach Tim Beckman admitting he is openly recruiting Penn State players. But no one has been as critical as PSU senior linebacker Michael Mauti.
Beckman confirmed Thursday that he had eight coaches camped out at a State College restaurant outside the Penn State campus Wednesday.
It appears Tim Beckman and the University of Illinois are prepared to pounce on those possible-transfer students.
But thanks to the foibles and failures of two of his conference rivals, Illinois’ first-year football coach could have a big “in” for 2012.
It’s difficult enough to hire the right basketball coach at Illinois, without choosing to limit the field of candidates beforehand.
New Illinois head football coach Tim Beckman is serious about his players obeying his rules.
If this pathetic, blubbering mess of failure and self-flagellation is to be somehow disinfected, it will take some real soul-searching before a reconstruction plan can be created.
Mike Thomas is now about to launch a campaign to raise more than $100 million to redo Assembly Hall even as fans grow increasingly frustrated with men’s basketball coach Bruce Weber.
Nineteen players have faxed in their letters of intent to new Illinois head coach Tim Beckman.
Back in 1963, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., told the world that he had a dream in which his children would some day live in a nation where people are judged not by the color of their skin, but rather by the content of their character.
The University of Illinois board of trustees have approved the five-year, $9 million contract for new head football coach Tim Beckman, but the vote was not unanimous.
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- School Warns Parents Of Kidnapping Attempt On PlaygroundA man tried to abduct a 4th grader from the playground at Alexander Graham Bell Elementary School at 3730 N Oakley Ave on Wednesday.150
- Senate Passes Ban On Handheld Cell Phones While DrivingThe proposal says drivers must use hands-free devices or speakerphone features.127
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!