Carlos Marmol insists it’s too soon for him to be frustrated. Cubs fans sure are, though. Adam LaRoche homered and matched a career-high with four hits, and the Washington Nationals again rallied late against Kerry Wood and Marmol, scoring five runs in the eighth to beat the Chicago Cubs 7-4 on Saturday.
This could have been a pretty special Opening Day for Ryan Dempster.
As Ryan Dempster left the field at Wrigley to a standing ovation, the Chicago Cubs looked ready to start the Theo Epstein era on a winning note. The cheers didn’t last. The lead didn’t either.
No matter how you feel about the Cubs, Opening Day at Wrigley Field is special. Even though the Cubs lost to the Nationals, Thursday was no exception.
The Cubs unveiled two new seating areas at Wrigley Field Wednesday in advance of Thursday’s opener against the Washington Nationals.
Pitcher Edwin Jackson agreed Thursday to a one-year contract with the Washington Nationals. The team said the agreement is pending a physical. The deal is worth in the range of $9 million to $12 million.
Fielder has agreed to a nine-year, $214 million deal with Detroit, who weren’t considered one of the favorites to land the ex-Brewers slugger.
Mark Buehrle has been tabbed as the Washington Nationals’ top free agent target with general manager Mike Rizzo reportedly visiting the left-hander’s St. Louis home Monday.
Officials said Thursday they have found the vehicle used by armed men who abducted Washington Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos, a case that highlights a sharp rise in kidnappings in Venezuela.
The Cubs will open the 2012 season with seven-straight games at home as they welcome the Washington Nationals to Wrigley Field for a three-game series starting April 5 before hosting the Brewers in a four-game series.
Reed Johnson, Alfonso Soriano and Geovany Soto each homered Wednesday night and the Chicago Cubs kept up their power surge in a 4-2 win over the Washington Nationals.
Chien-Ming Wang allowed one hit over six scoreless innings, Jonny Gomes hit a two-run homer and the Washington Nationals beat the Chicago Cubs 3-1 on Tuesday night.
A forecast of steady rain throughout Monday night prompted the Cubs to delay the opener of the three-game series. The game was called after a 32-minute delay.
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro was named National League Player of the Week Monday after he amassed 17 hits in seven games from Aug. 1-7.
The Cubs rallied from an 8-0 deficit, blew their lead and then managed to win 10-9 to avoid a four-game sweep in Washington.
Wilson Ramos decided a game of two-run homers with a suicide squeeze, driving in Michael Morsein to lift the Nationals to a 5-4 victory over the Cubs.
If second base were located somewhere on the fringe of the outfield grass behind the shortstop, Jeff Baker’s throw would have been on target. The Chicago Cubs wish they could invoke lots of similar “ifs” this season.
Jim Riggleman will reportedly serve as a television analyst for Comcast SportsNet during this weekend’s Cubs-White Sox series at Wrigley Field.
Phil Humber isn’t used to losing in a White Sox uniform. Even when he does, he pitches like an ace. Danny Espinosa hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning to lift Livan Hernandez and the Washington Nationals to a 2-1 victory over White Sox on Sunday.
Jake Peavy threw four dominant innings in his first career relief appearance and the Chicago White Sox beat the Washington Nationals 3-0 on Saturday.
- Board Votes To Close 49 Chicago Elementary SchoolsThe Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to close 49 elementary schools, in what is believed to be the biggest single mass shutdown of schools in U.S. history.3956
- Lockdown Lifted At Morton West High SchoolMorton West High School has been placed on lock down for precautionary reasons after an unknown individual entered the building.558
- Former Glenbard East Student Accused Of Planning Columbine-Type AttackA 19-year-old former student at Glenbard East High School in Lombard was in custody on Wednesday, accused of planning a "Columbine-style" attack on the school, with a list of people he wanted to target.556
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!