A Hazel Crest man is claiming he was forced in to signing a false confession for a 1992 double murder, of which he was later exonerated after spending 20 years in prison.
Though he was released within two hours of being placed in a cell, the arrest left him and his family feeling victimized again by a criminal justice system that has already robbed the 58-year-old of almost a fifth of his life.
Former Cook County State’s Attorney Richard Devine has said he doesn’t remember one of his top prosecutors raising concerns about the innocence of a man who was freed from death row in 1999, in a case that became a catalyst to end the death penalty in Illinois.
A downstate man who was exonerated after spending 17 years in prison for a double murder says he doesn’t understand why he’s been passed over once again for a pardon from the governor.
The Chicago City Council on Wednesday agreed to pay $10 million to compensate a man imprisoned 25 years for a double murder he did not commit.
After a court hearing this morning, a mother who served eight years in prison after being wrongly convicted for the strangling death of her four-year son is officially free today.
Last May, James Kluppelberg stood under the sun for the first time a free man in more than two decades. Ten months later, he’s unemployed with little hope. CBS 2’s Brad Edwards reports.
Jon Burge, the disgraced former Chicago police commander convicted of lying about torture by his detectives, is expected to testify this week at the trial of a man wrongfully convicted of murder.
Four men who were cleared last year of the 1994 rape and murder of a woman in the Englewood neighborhood have filed a lawsuit claiming they were framed by police.
Marcus Lyons was 29 years old and in the U.S. Navy Reserves and about to get his computer science degree when he was arrested.
A 46-year-old man cleared of setting a fire that killed a woman and her five children in 1984 has been released from prison.
The City Council Finance Committee has given preliminary approval to $3.6 million settlement, in a case which put a man behind bars for nearly a decade for an attack he didn’t commit.
Kane County prosecutors say asking a judge to vacate a man’s 2002 murder conviction was “the right thing to do.”
A federal jury Tuesday awarded $25 million to a suburban man who sued the City of Chicago after spending 16 years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit.