BLUE ISLAND, Ill. (STMW) – All of the children sickened by fumes at Paul Revere Intermediate School in Blue Island have been released from the hospital, a school official said Friday.

The janitor who bore the brunt of the fumes might be released Friday, District 130 Supt. Ray Lauk said.

What happened appeared to be an unfortunate accident when two janitors tried to clear a drain unaware of what the other had done. One dumped in bleach, the other a drain cleaner.

The chemical reaction created fumes that sent more than 20 students and 10 staff members to area hospitals.

Lauk said the school was cleaned Thursday night and will be vented Friday and over the weekend.

School is expected to reopen Monday as usual, he said.

© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Watch & Listen LIVE