Updated 07/31/12 – 3:17 p.m.

CHICAGO (CBS) — One-year-old Iyonna Davis suffered serious injuries to every part of her head after her father’s girlfriend brutally beat her to death over the weekend, Cook County prosecutors said.

The baby had a goose egg-sized bump to the back of her head and blood around her spinal cord, which indicates she was slammed against an object or was struck with an object with a lot of “abusive” force, assistant state’s attorney John Dillon said.

Iyonna’s temple, forehead, cheek, scalp and ears all showed signs of injuries and there were also tears to her gums and mouth, Dillon said. In addition, she suffered hemorrhages to the back of her head and around the brain.

Keisha Jones, who was allegedly the only one watching the child before she called 911, was ordered held without bond Tuesday for the murder.

Jones, 25, agreed to watch Iyonna while her boyfriend went to the Roseland Hospital between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to have staples removed from an earlier injury, Dillon said.

He then went to visit friends following his hospital visit and the baby allegedly remained in Jones’ care in the 10900 block of South Eberhart.

At 8:20 p.m., Jones called her boyfriend to tell him she called 911 because Iyonna was “lying on the ground, not breathing right and making gurgling noises,” Dillon said.

Iyonna died a little over an hour later at Roseland Hospital.

Medical examiner’s office officials said all of the injuries were inflicted within six hours of the Iyonna’s death and could not have occurred as a result of her accidentally falling, Dillon said.

Jones, who appeared in court with blue jeans and an orange shirt, suffers from depression, a defense attorney said.

She has completed one year at Kennedy King College in a medical-related field, the attorney said.

Jones, has a 3-year-old who is being taken care of by the child’s grandmother, the defense attorney said.

Iyonna’ death was also under investigation by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, which was looking into an allegation of neglect, agency spokesman Jimmie Whitelow said. DCFS has had no prior contact with the family, he said.

Jones was sentenced to probation in Minnesota for a 2006 felony theft conviction.

She also was found delinquent as a juvenile in Minnesota for making threats and assault, prosecutors said.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)